complete career change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

needaway

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
greetings. I am a 32 year old psychologist in India and am contemplating a complete career change. Although I am happy where I am career wise, it is not what I have always aspired to be. My passion lies in veterinary sciences. Due to circumstances beyond my control I was unable to pursue sciences in my high school. So I took the next best option and became a Psychologist. I know that in order to become a vet I need to first sit for my high school science exams and then do an undergraduate course and finally a masters course. What I want to inquire is that beyond this path is there any other way one can become a vet? Apart from the US and Canada where else can one go where things might be more favourable? Is it possible to sit for a sort of eligibility exam for veterinary sciences instead of going through the whole process?

My high school exams I will have to sit for via a correspondence method as I can not leave my job for now.

It is a tall order but I am determined.

Members don't see this ad.

greetings. I am a 32 year old psychologist in India and am contemplating a complete career change. Although I am happy where I am career wise, it is not what I have always aspired to be. My passion lies in veterinary sciences. Due to circumstances beyond my control I was unable to pursue sciences in my high school. So I took the next best option and became a Psychologist. I know that in order to become a vet I need to first sit for my high school science exams and then do an undergraduate course and finally a masters course. What I want to inquire is that beyond this path is there any other way one can become a vet? Apart from the US and Canada where else can one go where things might be more favourable? Is it possible to sit for a sort of eligibility exam for veterinary sciences instead of going through the whole process?

My high school exams I will have to sit for via a correspondence method as I can not leave my job for now.

It is a tall order but I am determined.

I'm not really sure what the process is in India, so unfortunately I can't advise you there. Accredited veterinary schools require certain undergraduate-level prerequisite courses, veterinary experience, letters of recommendation and the GRE; no eligibility exam is available. You would have to research the non-accredited schools specifically as most of us on these forums focus on the accredited schools.

Really, though, I would encourage you to get actual experience in the field of veterinary medicine before pursuing the career. Especially if you're happy doing what you're doing now.

Reactions: 1 users