Completed bachelor of dentistry 13 years back, options to consider.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YogaBaroness

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I completed my bachelor of dentistry approx 13 years back. I need some help understanding my options in dentistry or the medical field.

Here's my background.

I completed my bachelor of dentistry from Bangalore, India in Dec 2003. After that I worked for approximately a year as a dentist in India. I then moved to Texas, USA as a dependent (H4 visa) to my husband, in August 2006. I have not worked since then as it is not allowed as per law. My husband got a employment authorization Card (i.e temporary green card) in May 2016. I can therefore study and legally work here now. I am now looking to get back into the workforce. My questions are:

a. Considering the fact that I completed my dentistry approx 13 years back and I have a year of work experience(again approx 12 years back), what are my "realistic" chances to get accepted in a clinical program like Endodontics in USA? Money is not an issue. My first preference is definitely to do something in the dental field.

b. What are there some other options (in the dental, medical field that I should consider), considering that the number of seats for Endodontics is very less? One of my friends was suggesting "Informatics" (which is a combination of dentistry and Information technology). My husband is in the information technology industry.

I wonder if people on this forums have any suggestions and can guide me if its worth going through the process of writing the exams. Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

Never heard of Informatics, so can't help you here.
If you want to practice dentistry in the US, then you need to go through IDP, residency or specialty program.
I think IDP gives the most flexibility in terms of where to practice. Chances of getting into endo are close to 0

Never heard of Informatics, so can't help you here.
If you want to practice dentistry in the US, then you need to go through IDP, residency or specialty program.
I think IDP gives the most flexibility in terms of where to practice. Chances of getting into endo are close to 0

Thank you @oralcare123, deeply appreciate your response. Based on my research, my understanding was also the same about endodontics, thank you for validating my understanding. I will look into IDP in more detail.