Completely lost!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qkrdpsk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys~! I joined SDN in the last week of Dec. 2015 so I'm still pretty new here.. Hopefully I'm posting this in the right forum.

I applied for a DENTPIN & took the DAT on 1/27/2015 & didn't do so well. I retook the DAT on 12/28/2015 & did much better :) So now I am planning on applying this June.. But I am so confused & lost as to where to even start w/this whole application process.

I want to get a head start on my application because I know applying early is important! Is this the correct website?
https://portal.aadsasweb.org
But it says 2016 ADEA AADSAS Application.... Aren't I supposed to be using the 2017 ADEA AADSAS Application? Does this mean I have to wait for the 2015-2016 cycle to close & 2016-2017 cycle to open?

Does the application portal for the cycle I want to apply for not open until June? Does this mean I have to fill out my application in June? If the application portal doesn't open until June, what should I be doing until then?

LOL.. Sorry for so many dumb questions. I have been sitting here trying to research all the schools I'm interested in & figure out the application process for the cycle I want to apply for, but I am not finding anything clear. Or maybe I'm just dumb. Hahahaha. I'm already stressing out over the application process & I didn't even really start anything. Help is very much appreciated. Thank you. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It doesn't open until June. For the time being, write your personal statement (4000 characters I think?) and secure some LoR writers. Look through SDN or the ADEA guidebook and pick schools that match your stats/price range/location preference. Most of the application is just tedious, such as filling in your classes from your transcripts. If you have all this ready by summer, you'll be all set:)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't open until June. For the time being, write your personal statement (4000 characters I think?) and secure some LoR writers. Look through SDN or the ADEA guidebook and pick schools that match your stats/price range/location preference. Most of the application is just tedious, such as filling in your classes from your transcripts. If you have all this ready by summer, you'll be all set:)
Thank you for the quick response! :)

Is there a prompt for the personal statement?

And I have no idea what my sGPA & BCP are.. Is there a way to calculate it online? I read somewhere that the GPA scale the ADEA uses differs from your transcript... Something like that. And like you mentioned, I want to apply for schools that match my stats so it would be nice to know my sGPA & BCP!

Thank you for the quick response! :)

Is there a prompt for the personal statement?

And I have no idea what my sGPA & BCP are.. Is there a way to calculate it online? I read somewhere that the GPA scale the ADEA uses differs from your transcript... Something like that. And like you mentioned, I want to apply for schools that match my stats so it would be nice to know my sGPA & BCP!
No prompt for personal statement. Just why you want to be a dentist, etc. Browse through SDN. I'm sure there are threads about it.
If you google GPA calculator you can probably find one. Not sure the exact scale AADSAS uses. If you have a solid mix of A's and B's you'll probably be around a 3.5 which is average for most schools. I'd look mainly at their DAT ranges and IS/OOS preferences.
Someone else may be able to help you better than I can. I knew my rough GPA when I applied

Reactions: 1 user
Your GPA will probably be around what your undergrad GPA is if your uni uses the +/- system. Unless you took community college classes too, then you have to factor in those credits.

Reactions: 1 user
It wont open to you until June.

In the meantime, prep your resume, letters of recommendation, and compile and/or add on to your volunteer and observation hours. If youre done with all your coursework, request transcripts and have them already on hand.

The more you have prepared, the easiest applying will be for you come June.
Thank you for the response. :)

I need a resume to apply to dental school?

No prompt for personal statement. Just why you want to be a dentist, etc. Browse through SDN. I'm sure there are threads about it.
If you google GPA calculator you can probably find one. Not sure the exact scale AADSAS uses. If you have a solid mix of A's and B's you'll probably be around a 3.5 which is average for most schools. I'd look mainly at their DAT ranges and IS/OOS preferences.
Someone else may be able to help you better than I can. I knew my rough GPA when I applied
What is IS & OOS... First time ever seeing this. o_O

Would you guys recommend purchasing the most recent ADEA official guide to dental schools?

No. But its a way to organize your work history, accomplishments, and skills, which youll need to input in your application.

You should also have a resume or CV started if youre entering the professional world, which you are.
Makes sense! Thank you :)