Complex PE scared that I failed reassurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skinnyj182

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the complex PE at the beginning of Oct 2017 and was freaked out for the last two months until today when I found out that I passed. I made so many mistakes and I just want to reassure people who feel like I did. The following a just some of many of the mistakes I made and still passed;
Just did soft tissue for every OMM patient because I didn't know what else to do
Didn't finish every soap note due to time issues
Rushed at the end of the encounters due to time running out
Forgot somebody's name and had to look at their chart for it
Didn't list three differential diagnosis for every patient
I miss spelled everything in the soap note
Told somebody that cigarettes make them smell badly but later apologized
And so many more things that I can't remember two months later.

Bottom line: you most likely passed as long as you didn't fabricate things in your soap notes and treat people with respect

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
None of the things you mentioned warrant a failure. I've heard of much worse mistakes, like jaw-dropping ones, and people still passed.

Regardless, congrats on passing

Reactions: 2 users
I need thread like this man (Step2 CS)

Did not come up with 3 differentials in the first 3encounters and likely did not write a good notes
Next 3 went a bit better, but still could come up with 2 solid differentials... Notes were short
Meh on the next 4. Got 2 solid differentials but could come up with 1/2 historical findings and one physical finding to support them
Last 2 were disaster as it was difficult to get good history from SP.

Score comes out in February... Need reassurance here guys!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So is soft tissue only OK for part 2? I've heard of lots of people doing that, and never referring to it as a mistake.

drink a few beers and chill bro, nothing you can do now will change your future until you get the result.

Granted I'm a MD student, but I understand CS and PE are pretty similar (aside from OMM). What I told myself during the month-long wait for scores was: this is a MINIMUM competency exam. That means everyone passes except for the few that need a good amount of work. Honest minor mistakes aren't going to make or break you. They are looking for egregious errors that need to be rectified before you are able to enter the next stage of training.

Sure there are exceptions and if you spend a few hours combing through the forums, you'll find a way to go nuts with anxiety. So don't do that.

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping for some down-to-earth insight, so please give honest opinions as I'm not trying to get any false hope. On my PE, I failed to put any OMT assessment in the objective portion, I did all the techniques for the cases and then solely put in the plan the OMT that I chose. In hindsight, I can't believe I did this, and it has me rather worried...thoughts? I feel like other aspects were decent; except my plans were scant but I made sure to have at least 4 things in the plan for every case (note: I didn't put labs in the plan for a lot of cases, for some reason?).

I keep reading that everyone feels terrible about this exam, but I never thought I would feel this paranoid. There are so many other things that I keep playing over in my head that have me concerned but I think the OMT issue is the biggest thing...thoughts?

I know the feeling. I was bugging too. I think as long as you were polite, maintained modesty, washed hands, helped patients get up in and out and had a DECENT plan and differentials for the medical aspect you’ll be fine. I know this is a vague answer and not entirely what you’re looking for but I’m hoping that you passed as well

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping for some down-to-earth insight, so please give honest opinions as I'm not trying to get any false hope. On my PE, I failed to put any OMT assessment in the objective portion, I did all the techniques for the cases and then solely put in the plan the OMT that I chose. In hindsight, I can't believe I did this, and it has me rather worried...thoughts? I feel like other aspects were decent; except my plans were scant but I made sure to have at least 4 things in the plan for every case (note: I didn't put labs in the plan for a lot of cases, for some reason?).

I keep reading that everyone feels terrible about this exam, but I never thought I would feel this paranoid. There are so many other things that I keep playing over in my head that have me concerned but I think the OMT issue is the biggest thing...thoughts?

Reactions: 1 user