compost pile anticoagulation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted6669

so my 2 yr old boston terrier is currently in the doggy icu after developing an anticoagulated state likely, according to our vet, from eating mulch from the compost pile. anyone ever heard of this?
they said the only other possibility was ingesting rat poison which we don't use at all. I suppose someone could have poisoned the dog but that is unlikely I think.
she was tachypneic and lethargic so I took her in this am. an xray showed a lung effusion which was found to be blood when a thoracentesis was performed using u/s guidance. her coags were way off as well and her hct was 24 with a nl wbc and platelets. heme neg rectal exam.. she is currently getting transfused, etc
thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

You should talk to your vet about your concerns. Not consult an Internet forum.

You should talk to your vet about your concerns. Not consult an Internet forum.
just wondering if anyone had heard of it before.
I have had several long discussions with my vet today and elected to follow 100% of their treatment recommendations. I was not looking for advice, just asking if this has been seen by others before.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mycotoxins (afla) ---> Liver Failure (decreased clotting factors)
Infection ---> DIC (consumption)

Off the top of my head...

Yeah, threads probably going to get locked :(

for anyone interested- doing much better now after thoracentesis and transfusion. hct up to 39.
on vit k for 30 days then recheck coags.