compounding and pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCCpharm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering how much compounding do pharmacists do in retail? how about at hospitals? how do you guys feel about compounding?

I've worked as a tech at a mail order and didn't do any compounding at all. I'm also interning now at a retail chain and haven't seen it either. It kinda scares me because it seems like errors can be made easily when compounding.

(fyi: I just read this article, which caused me to think about this subject: http://www.ismp.org/Newsletters/acutecare/articles/20070906.asp )

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the area you are in. There are some stores that do a great deal of compounding. If you are in the Philadelphia area you can do a a great deal of compounding because we have a Children's Hospital. We are required to make liquid dosage forms of many compounds:

• Sulfasalazine
  • Metronidazole
  • Omeprazole
  • Spironolactone
  • Labetalol
Just to name a few. So it all depends. An older dermatologist will also throw some compounds at you. Be prepared to add coal tar, pine tar or ppt sulfur to topical steroids. Throw in some progesterone suppositories and that pretty much covers the spectrum of what you can see in a typical retail practice.

At the Walgreens I worked at, we would get a compound once every 1-2 weeks. Most of them were fairly simple.

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked at a Wags that did a lot (near a Children's Hospital, pediatric cardiology group, etc). In fact, that Wags now has an official compounding center and sent a pharmacist to Texas (I think) for compounding training. I haven't been back to the store to see how that is set up.

I also worked at Wags that did none. Zero, zip, zilch. If someone came in with a compound they got handed a business card with the name and address of the local compounding pharmacy.

These Wags were in different cities, BTW.

I work in staff model (like retail) and we do the occasional topical derm. compound and TONS of miracle mouthwash/magic potion (not really compounding though).

I'll agree that it depends a lot on the store. I would think at the larger chains there will be less compounding, while at independents there will generally be more.

Yeah i'd say it depends on the store. I work in retail and LTC and in the retail store, i'd do maybe 1 or 2 topicals every 2 weeks at most. Magic mouth wash and antacids are even less. LTC I do pretty much the same but more per week.

Speaking of compounding, how difficult is the compounding part of the state boards? Is there a course that you could take to refresh your memory and practice your skills?