Compression Stockings/Hose

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southerndoc

life is good
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried searching for this, since I vaguely remember seeing a thread about this before... but I couldn't find anything on it, so maybe I imagined it.

One of the PA students I rotated with wore prescription compression stockings/hose. He said it would prevent varicose veins from standing all the time, and he also said it made his legs feel a lot better after standing on his feet for 12-15 hours a day. He wore regular socks to cover them up.

Now I've learned that several people have recommended that I look into this since I'm considering surgery. They said that many surgery residents do this. None of our surgery residents wear them.

So, my question is do any of you wear compression stockings, and if so, do you find any benefit in them?

Maybe I'm just wanting to be in pseudo-drag in the hospital by wearing hose. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I know a number of nurses who wear them (and like them), but they already have vv's.

You could always try the otc hose to see if they help you at all, then invest in a prescription pair. (just make certain they don't rest in the popliteal fossa- good way to give yourself a clot.)