COMP's Lousy %$^% graduation requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anguscrimm

Fun furry guy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to know if any other Osteopathic schools have a "requirement" to attend commencement in order to graduate. I have a family issue I am going to need to attend to during my commencement, and was told that in order to receive my diploma, it was required to attend graduation.

My problem with it is this:

Isn't graduation intended to be a time to commemorate/celebrate the achievement of the students? As a result, shouldn't it be my right to not attend if I don't want to? I don't recall there ever being this type of requirement for my undergraduate class.

I have an aunt that attended UCSD medical school and from what I can recall her telling me, less than 50% of her class showed up due to apathy.

As I get closer and closer to graduating, I am thankful that I finishing my relationship with COMP and look fwd to the day that I don't have to deal with their administration and nonsensical policies any longer.

Any thoughts on this, current COMP students or other Osteopathic students?

Members don't see this ad.

If I do have to go to graduation, I'm going to wear a t-shirt that says "I spent over $120,000 at COMP and all I got was a lousy DO degree."

Oklahoma State has the same policy. During our Step 2 Boards the administration talked briefly about graduation procedures, and they specifically mentioned that attendance is mandatory. I'm not sure how a graduate would fare in court if they chose to fight - the course catalog given to us on Day 1 mentioned that graduation attendance is mandatory, and that no attendance = no D.O. degree.

Personally, I will be there because I want to find our where my classmates are doing residencies. I couldn't care less about walking across stage or moving the tassel.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm under the OSU requirement & my undergrad had the same policy (infact, I had to wait 5 months after I finished college until graduation to actually get my degree).

Originally posted by DrMom
I'm under the OSU requirement & my undergrad had the same policy (infact, I had to wait 5 months after I finished college until graduation to actually get my degree).

Hey Dr. Mom! How are you doing?:)

Hmmm..this court thing brings an interesting thought to mind. Although it will be a hassle, I'm gonna fight this thing until my face is blue and my throat is sore!!

Thanks for the other input, Pilot & DrMom. It makes me feel at least a bit less violated if other schools have this requirement too. I wonder though, how strictly are they going to enforce it. I mean will they actually hold up my(our) medical degrees if we had completed all the other requirements, except for walking up to a stage and getting a diploma from a guy I don't even know? :confused:

I tell you what though, first thing I'm gonna do after I receive my first intern paycheck is sign half of it over to my wonderful school as a donation for being so supportive in all my endeavors. *snicker* :rolleyes:

Same deal at LECOM as far as I know. Especially inconvenient for people doing their 4th yr rotations in California, Alaska, etc. Oh well, it sucks but they let us know from the get go, so I guess its just another hoop to jump through. Seems like there are a lot of those in this profession! :)

Originally posted by Anguscrimm
Just wanted to know if any other Osteopathic schools have a "requirement" to attend commencement in order to graduate. I have a family issue I am going to need to attend to during my commencement, and was told that in order to receive my diploma, it was required to attend graduation.

My problem with it is this:

Isn't graduation intended to be a time to commemorate/celebrate the achievement of the students? As a result, shouldn't it be my right to not attend if I don't want to? I don't recall there ever being this type of requirement for my undergraduate class.

I have an aunt that attended UCSD medical school and from what I can recall her telling me, less than 50% of her class showed up due to apathy.

As I get closer and closer to graduating, I am thankful that I finishing my relationship with COMP and look fwd to the day that I don't have to deal with their administration and nonsensical policies any longer.

Any thoughts on this, current COMP students or other Osteopathic students?

I thought we weeded out all the pu$$ies in the first 2 years, but is appears that a few are lingering!

Naw, I think I'd be more of a "pu$$y" (eloquent word choice, BTW) if I didn't stand up for what I wanted/needed to do and just went along with what was required of me even if I didn't believe in it.