Computer advice??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

umasskin2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I will be starting my DPT program in the Summer and I was hoping to get some advice on computers. I currently have a MacBook Pro with 8G memory, and 2.8 GHz intel core i7. I was thinking of either upgrading my memory or getting a different computer. I have no disk drive, so I would probably have to get an external drive as well. I have had this one through almost all of my undergrad and I'm just not sure how much longer it will last, but then again I do not know that much about computers. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

The laptop you have is plenty for PT school, no need to upgrade anything. Can you even add RAM to MacBooks? I though the memory was soldered onto the motherboard. As for storage (disk drive), you must have some on your machine currently. A cheap way to add to it would be to buy something like this:
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/888890/Lexar-JumpDrive-S57-USB-30-Flash/

Edit: out of curiosity, I looked up memory upgrades for MacBooks. Turns out that it is possible, except for the MacBook Air & Retina MacBook Pro, which have soldered-on RAM. However, MacBook laptops max out at 8 GB, so it looks like your machine is already at the top of the specs.

Last edited: