Computer assisted vision acuity test tool

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avtinc2000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Re: Computer assisted vision acuity test tool

Hello OD and students:

This may not be the place to seek help, but I could not get much help from local optometrist or MD lately… and there is not much help from the net so far.
Here is my story……
I ran into a computer assisted vision acuity test tool while at an Ophthalmology’s office
I am considering developing such a tool. The problem is that I need to learn more about optometry….. I am an engineer by training……well, maybe 5% of the time anyway…. :)

At the opthalmologist’s office, the doctor was using a computer assisted vision acuity test tool, Smart System II PC Plus or SmartSystem II 20/20, manufactured by M & S Technologies, Inc. (http://www.mstech-eyes.com/).

I visited their website, and learn a few things. I am now doing preliminary studies to determine if I should commit to developing such a system. I have looked for information on the Internet, but am limited to what I can find.

Here are requests that you folks, especially OD’s, may be able assists me, should you decide to do so:

1) Are there website of optometry trade magazines?
I like to visit the websites to learn about other such computer assisted vision acuity test tool products. I may be able to ask the editors to give me some information about the demand for such computer assisted vision acuity test tools.

2) If you know of any Internet forum used by optometrists to discuss equipments used for your industry, I would like to know the websites.

3) I like to know what books related to vision acuity testing and calibration of vision reading chart that I can buy. My hunch is that these books are probably first year optometry student books.

4) Last but not least, can you tell me whether computer assisted vision acuity test tool is worth an investment for your practice?
(I was told such a tool cost about $4,500 to $5,000)

How much does a set of old fashion projector/vision acuity test chart costs?
Of course, computer assisted vision acuity test tool can do much more……

To develop such a computer assisted vision acuity test tool, I really need to read related technical books related to such areas!

Any other advice you can give me would be great.
By the way, I am in Colorado Springs, Colorado. So if you are interest in talking with me as well as possibly collaborate on this development, let me know.

Please advice.
Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.