Computer for School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drsomeday1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So of course we need a computer/laptop for dental school. Some schools require you to get a certain computer, right? Well, what if it's up to you? What specs do I NEED and what size etc. I just don't want to make the mistake of buying the wrong one or a sub-par one, and be stuck with it for four years. Recommendations welcomed.

Members don't see this ad.

It really doesn't matter, you don't need anything special. All you'll really need is to be able to go on the internet and word process - so you can flip through your local electronics ads and anything you pick would be fine. My advice though, if you're ok with a small keyboard, is to go with a Netbook, they're really easy to carry and bring around with you, and it's much easier to take notes on in class if you're sitting at a small chair/desk - they're also a few hundred bucks cheaper. Anything you pick should be fine though.

I'm pretty sure any current laptop would suffice, however, you should just check with USC for any laptop specification requirements. It might be on their website.

I know for UCSF, they told us to hold off on buying any laptops until new specifications have been established for 2010-2011.