computer part 1 scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3rdmolarslayer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those that took part 1 on the computer...how long did it take to get your scores back.

Members don't see this ad.

3rdmolarslayer said:
for those that took part 1 on the computer...how long did it take to get your scores back.

About 10 days.

really? I thought it took 3 to 4 weeks?

Members don't see this ad :)
My buddy told me his friend at case got them back in two weeks...

I took the test on 6/25 and got my scores back on 7/11.

Anyone want to share their scores or opinions on the difficulty of exam that they took ? Did you guys make around the same score that you felt like you were going to make when you walked out there ?

3rdmolarslayer said:

Got my scores, 91 overall, but I was surprised at the wide range in my scores and also surprised by the sections I scored worst/best in. Initially I thought that just getting in the 90's would help me get into a specialty, but it seems like a 91 may not be as good of score as it used to be. Oh well, if i cant get my first choice of specialty, OMFS, I could always just be a periodontist...NOT :laugh:

InMyCrossHairs said:
but it seems like a 91 may not be as good of score as it used to be.QUOTE]

Isn't it graded on a curve so a 91 today is the same as a 91 ten years ago. I think only a certain percentage of test takers get above 90.

dc-10 said:
InMyCrossHairs said:
but it seems like a 91 may not be as good of score as it used to be.QUOTE]

Isn't it graded on a curve so a 91 today is the same as a 91 ten years ago. I think only a certain percentage of test takers get above 90.

From what I understand that isnt the case. I was told by someone at the ADA, and I cant remember her name (she was in the testing department however), that when you take the computerized test, the scores, ie a 75 or 90 for that matter, are already determined by the correct # of responses. So for instance, if test A is deemed to have a difficulty level of "x" and you respond with 65 correct responses you will get a score 0f 90, but test "b" may be less difficult so you need 70 correct responses to achieve the same score of 90. And with this predetermined scale, everyone taking the test could conceivably score above 90. That is how I was led to believe the tests were scored.

How long did you study to get to the level where you felt that you could make a 90, and with that being said, what score did you feel that you had made when you walked out of the Prometric center on test day ?

InMyCrossHairs said:
Got my scores, 91 overall, but I was surprised at the wide range in my scores and also surprised by the sections I scored worst/best in. Initially I thought that just getting in the 90's would help me get into a specialty, but it seems like a 91 may not be as good of score as it used to be. Oh well, if i cant get my first choice of specialty, OMFS, I could always just be a periodontist...NOT :laugh:

InMyCrossHairs said:

From talking to your classmates, do you think you would have been better off (ie higher score) with the written. The smartest kid in my class got a 93 on the computerized, and I can't help but wonder if he would have gotten a higher score on the written. Last year it seemed like everyone who posted in this forum got like a 96,97 or 98 on the written.

Supernova2008 said:
How long did you study to get to the level where you felt that you could make a 90, and with that being said, what score did you feel that you had made when you walked out of the Prometric center on test day ?

I studied the full two weeks we were given off for boards, normally 8-10 hours a day. I also had studied a small amount before the two weeks just identifying key areas I thought I was weak in. Just a side note, be careful when you listen to what others say about the time they put into the boards. A quick formula is what people say x 10. It is unbelievable for me to believe people say they studied a max of say 50 hours and scored high 90's. Myself and a group of people studied together throughout our time off, all put in about equal time, and we all had scores very similar to each other, and these people I studied with were the top of our class. So it just seems unlikely that so many people can study so few hours and ace this exam. Dont get me wrong, I know there are people who are insanely smart and absoloutey kill this exam with little prep, but I think it is most important to understand your capabilities and prepare that way, not the way others may lead you to believe is adequate. Hope that helps.

dc-10 said:
From talking to your classmates, do you think you would have been better off (ie higher score) with the written. The smartest kid in my class got a 93 on the computerized, and I can't help but wonder if he would have gotten a higher score on the written. Last year it seemed like everyone who posted in this forum got like a 96,97 or 98 on the written.

This question is being thrown around right now at my school because scores seem to be unusually low compared to scores in the past on the written exam. I cant say whether I would have scored higher on the written or not, but what I can say is that I was surprised that some of my classmates who were going through old exams the week prior were consistantly scoring 99's and when scores came back only a handful had scored in the 90's and they were low 90's.

InMyCrossHairs said:
This question is being thrown around right now at my school because scores seem to be unusually low compared to scores in the past on the written exam. I cant say whether I would have scored higher on the written or not, but what I can say is that I was surprised that some of my classmates who were going through old exams the week prior were consistantly scoring 99's and when scores came back only a handful had scored in the 90's and they were low 90's.

This was true for many of us last year as well. Many who were scoring mid-high 90's on the old released exams got low 90's to high 80's on the the real written.