computer science, AADSAS, science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebozz1975

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are computer science courses counted in the science gpa for AADSAS? I have read the forum, finding "yes" and "no" answers. It seems that if math courses are included, then computer science classes should definitely be included also.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

i put them at as science classes..

Members don't see this ad :)
This puts me in a sticky situation. I have an A+ in an intro to programming class. But I have a B- in a class on microsoft office. Any chance I can pick and choose, haha. As a side note, its complete and utter bs that computer "science" courses count toward the science gpa but psych and economics do not. I see very little scientific about computer programming, and absolutly nothing scientific about learning how to set up tables in excel. Yet using the "Scientific" method, utilizing statistical methods to determine correlations in human behavior, and doing crazy math to determine the nash equilibria does not. I have no problem with social pseudo science not counting as science, I don't believe they are true science. I also am aware that programming requires alot of skill. But that doesn't change the fact that computer programming is about as scientific as an art class.

If forensic science and psychology (both of which often involve application of the scientific method) are not included under other science coursework for AADSAS, I seriously doubt computer science courses would be. I hope you're just taking the piss out of everyone by suggesting that there is something comparable between taking an engineering or astronomy course (both other science) and a Microsoft Office class. :laugh: Don't put compute science coursework under your other science GPA, it will just slowdown AADSAS as they'll have to change it and reconfirm with you.

This is exactly what I was saying in my question that started this thread, that some people say "yes" and some say "no". Does anyone have a more official answer?

i don't think the AADSAS transcript departments people knows about this either, there is no specific rules listed on the guidelines so it was all up to their own interpretation

when i applied before, i put CS course as other sci and it passed
this year i put them as other sci and they were changed to non sci.
i have about 60 credits in cs, and without those my sGPA suffered...

i tried calling them to correct, some rep said "cs is not science" and some said "cs is science and we'll have people to look over it"
i think it was just a busy time for the transcript dept (june/july) and they didn't want to go back to modify...after more than one month of back and forth communication, one of the lady called and said "we used to have it considered as other sci, starting this year it is non-sci, case closed", while so many people on the board have reported their cs courses were considered as other-sci by AADSAS..
what aadsas people said sound like bullsh*t to me

i don't think the AADSAS transcript departments people knows about this either, there is no specific rules listed on the guidelines so it was all up to their own interpretation

when i applied before, i put CS course as other sci and it passed
this year i put them as other sci and they were changed to non sci.
i have about 60 credits in cs, and without those my sGPA suffered...

i tried calling them to correct, some rep said "cs is not science" and some said "cs is science and we'll have people to look over it"
i think it was just a busy time for the transcript dept (june/july) and they didn't want to go back to modify...after more than one month of back and forth communication, one of the lady called and said "we used to have it considered as other sci, starting this year it is non-sci, case closed", while so many people on the board have reported their cs courses were considered as other-sci by AADSAS..
what aadsas people said sound like bullsh*t to me

Ouch. Considering you took so many CS courses I assume they were upper level programming courses. I think AADSAS may have originally chose to have CS included in the science gpa because of programming. However, because CS also can include B.S. classes like microsoft office and HTML they decided to just get rid of it completely rather than picking and choosing what classes qualified out of peoples transcripts.

So, it sounds like it could go either way. If it helps you, you should probably just try it and see if they correct it?

what should i put computer science courses as on the ADDSAS, non science or other science?

what is the word on this, this year?

Hello. In case you have not checked with the ADEA AADSAS 2010 Guideline, computer science is consider "NON-SCIENCE". Please check page 26 & 27.

you can also click "instructions" after you go to enter in a specific class... it tells you which disciplines are and are not sciences... CS is NOT a science.

geez. Just changed all my CS courses into "Non-science" after reading this thread, but i wonder how much it would hurt to leave them as "other science"? Do they contact you later and tell you to change it?

CS classes are non science classes (check AADSAS info for grade entry). If CS are offered by Math department or engineering departments (such computer, or electrical engineering), then they count in science GPA calculation.

So does computer science count as science on the TMDSAS?

im pretty sure they count on TMDSAS. my computer engineering technology courses counted towards my science GPA

During the summer i took Exercise Science 161 and 189 (volleyball and weight lifting). Looks like anything goes when it comes to counting towards science, so i might as well count them, right?