Computerized OAT - Scoring

ucbsowarrior

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Peps,
I'm already an OD, but I one of my close friends is entertaining the idea of becoming an OD candidate for the entering class of 2006. They had some questions regarding the Computerized OAT.

How are the scores normalized on a percentile basis for the computerized version? What are the percentiles drawn from? The most recent group of test takers?

Is there any advantage to taking the Written vs. the Computerized version?...other than one can take the Computerized version anytime of the year.

Rgds,
ucbsowarrior :eek:

just for the record:
aa:370 (just average for ucbso)
ts:370 (just average for ucbso)
study time: 30 minutes :laugh:
taken 18 months after highschool :laugh:
didn't even take the o-chem course prior to testing :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

ucbsowarrior said:
Hi Peps,
I'm already an OD, but I one of my close friends is entertaining the idea of becoming an OD candidate for the entering class of 2006. They had some questions regarding the Computerized OAT.

How are the scores normalized on a percentile basis for the computerized version? What are the percentiles drawn from? The most recent group of test takers?

Is there any advantage to taking the Written vs. the Computerized version?...other than one can take the Computerized version anytime of the year.

Rgds,
ucbsowarrior :eek:

just for the record:
aa:370 (just average for ucbso)
ts:370 (just average for ucbso)
study time: 30 minutes :laugh:
taken 18 months after highschool :laugh:
didn't even take the o-chem course prior to testing :thumbup:

Nice work on the OAT all those years ago! Personally, 2 years out of H.S., took it hung over without studying. AA 370, TS 370 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

(Just kidding, I wasn't hung over.)

In all seriousness, I found the computerized OAT to be nice. I hate sitting through all of the instructions for standardized tests, so I was able to read them at my pace, and start much sooner. I cut about an hour off the test because I did that quickly, and skipped the break. Also, it was nice to get my scores back the same day, (I hated waiting for my MCAT scores, 6 weeks GRRRRRR!!!!)

The only drawback was the difficulty going back to the start of the section. You had to go back one question at a time. (except when you were totally done I think you could go to a specific question.)

Depends on personal preferences though I guess. :thumbup: :thumbdown:

Badger150 said:
Nice work on the OAT all those years ago! Personally, 2 years out of H.S., took it hung over without studying. AA 370, TS 370 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

(Just kidding, I wasn't hung over.)

In all seriousness, I found the computerized OAT to be nice. I hate sitting through all of the instructions for standardized tests, so I was able to read them at my pace, and start much sooner. I cut about an hour off the test because I did that quickly, and skipped the break. Also, it was nice to get my scores back the same day, (I hated waiting for my MCAT scores, 6 weeks GRRRRRR!!!!)

The only drawback was the difficulty going back to the start of the section. You had to go back one question at a time. (except when you were totally done I think you could go to a specific question.)

Depends on personal preferences though I guess. :thumbup: :thumbdown:
Ya sounds like you bagged it! There's not point for those that wait 4 yrs to take the oat. That is too long.

I didn't take the computerized version, but here's why I love paper:
-highlighter on RC portion
-no need to rewrite eq's, just draw right in the book (especially for QR, where there is just not enough time, and for OChem, where drawing would be a real time-waster)
-used spare time during "practice test" to jot down Physics eq's (as a memory jogger)

Hey, the paper version got me 400s on RC and QR, so I can't complain!
I studied like a maniac for the sciences though, unlike y'all. :thumbdown: