• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Computers for dental schools

IdleKoala

Custom title
2+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2017
Florida
  1. Dental Student
I know this isn't general, but I know several people in my class alone that have had issues with their surface. Some issues were with the tablet itself and others with using various note taking apps. Not to scare you away from it, cause other people have used theirs no issue, but there does in general seem to be more failure with the surface than the ipad. I personally have a cheap macbook air that stays at home, and I do everything else on my 32gb ipad with an apple pencil. I even take exams on my ipad in the testing center. The whole set up cost a little over $1000. I personally would go with the ipad again. If you get a keyboard you might even be able to avoid getting laptop altogether. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
About the Ads

FutureToothfairy25

Dec 11, 2019
  1. Pre-Dental
I know this isn't general, but I know several people in my class alone that have had issues with their surface. Some issues were with the tablet itself and others with using various note taking apps. Not to scare you away from it, cause other people have used theirs no issue, but there does in general seem to be more failure with the surface than the ipad. I personally have a cheap macbook air that stays at home, and I do everything else on my 32gb ipad with an apple pencil. I even take exams on my ipad in the testing center. The whole set up cost a little over $1000. I personally would go with the ipad again. If you get a keyboard you might even be able to avoid getting laptop altogether. Best of luck.
That was very helpful, thanks so much for the response! :)

Upvote 0

Pablo Sanchez

5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2016
  1. Dental Student
Totally unpopular opinion here, but I have a Dell and it works great for me. Dental school is expensive. I just wanted a computer that would work for the needs I have in dental school. No need to waste extra money on anything super fancy.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

0Mik3cho

Dentgineer
2+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2019
Laniakea Supercluster
  1. Dental Student
Hey guys! My Macbook is extremely old and hanging on to dear life. I was wondering what type of computer is best for dental schools? I was debating between the new iPad pro or surface pro. Ive worked with apple the most. Any recommendations????
If you know a bit about computers then swapping out the hard drive for a solid state drive can do wonders and make it feel almost like new. Granted, it may or may not struggle with large textbook PDFs depending on how much RAM and what processor you've got. I've got a 2008 MacBook Pro that I'm refurbishing and it runs pretty nicely for basic tasks like Spotify, Youtube, emails, and Word but large PDFs have a bit of a hard time.

Upvote 0

FutureToothfairy25

Dec 11, 2019
  1. Pre-Dental
If you know a bit about computers then swapping out the hard drive for a solid state drive can do wonders and make it feel almost like new. Granted, it may or may not struggle with large textbook PDFs depending on how much RAM and what processor you've got. I've got a 2008 MacBook Pro that I'm refurbishing and it runs pretty nicely for basic tasks like Spotify, Youtube, emails, and Word but large PDFs have a bit of a hard time.
Thanks for the reply! I'll look into that as well! That way I can also keep my old macbook as backup as well.

Upvote 0

0Mik3cho

Dentgineer
2+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2019
Laniakea Supercluster
  1. Dental Student
Thanks for the reply! I'll look into that as well! That way I can also keep my old macbook as backup as well.
No problem. This would be how you'd migrate your data to a new drive if that's the option you choose (I've been assuming your system is old enough that it still has a mechanical hard drive).

Upvote 0

pubhealthdent

2+ Year Member
May 7, 2019
  1. Dentist
Hey guys! My Macbook is extremely old and hanging on to dear life. I was wondering what type of computer is best for dental schools? I was debating between the new iPad pro or surface pro. Ive worked with apple the most. Any recommendations????

I absolutely love my surface pro. Great portability - super lightweight, functions just like a laptop or tablet depending on what I need it for. Great for drawing on which really helped me when taking notes. But if you're already an Apple person, the iPad pro is virtually the same functionality wise

Upvote 0

FutureToothfairy25

Dec 11, 2019
  1. Pre-Dental
I absolutely love my surface pro. Great portability - super lightweight, functions just like a laptop or tablet depending on what I need it for. Great for drawing on which really helped me when taking notes. But if you're already an Apple person, the iPad pro is virtually the same functionality wise
thank you for the thorough response! :)

Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.