Conceptual Momentum Question

Started by qw098
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

qw098

zyzzbrah
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I am having trouble with this conceptual Momentum question. It is a question on EK 1001 Physics. The answer is c) but I am unsure why. The diagram below is the question:
momentuma.png

scaled.php


I would greatly appreciate your guys' help on this question. Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
solution_summary.gif


Thanks for that link.

Using the equation on the right, the denominator will be essentially just m1, because we're greatly increasing the size of m1 and therefore m2 becomes relatively small and insignificant. You're left with 2*m1 / m1, which equals 2. So the answer is 2*v.