Conceptual pressure question

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
Dec 1, 2011
  1. Pre-Podiatry
    Well, A and D are both just atmospheric pressure, so those are out. If I'm not mistaken, since fluids are incompressible, any fluid at a particular depth will have equivalent pressure as well. So, I don't know between B and C?

B seems like it would have higher pressure because there is taller column of water above it, but C is in a smaller volume (a little pipe vs the huge beaker). Although, according to my ruler, point C is actually slightly lower than point B. So C? :)

About the Ads

MedPR

Membership Revoked
    Removed
    Dec 1, 2011
    1. Pre-Podiatry
      Or the pressure in the tube is lower since the water is moving there and the pressure is lower due to Bernoulli.

Yea that too. I have a feeling I'm going to be wrong, but I'm going to say that velocity at C is higher than velocity at B (continuity) and higher velocity = lower pressure (bernoulli)? :)

milski

1K member
      5+ Year Member
      Dec 30, 2009
      Where the rain grows
      1. Pre-Medical
        Yea that too. I have a feeling I'm going to be wrong, but I'm going to say that velocity at C is higher than velocity at B (continuity) and higher velocity = lower pressure (bernoulli)? :)

That would be it, you're correct this time.

To make that assessment, you want B and C to be equally high. If B is higher than C, you'll have to do the math with the exact pressures, velocities, fluid, etc. to determine which one is lower.

milski

1K member
        5+ Year Member
        Dec 30, 2009
        Where the rain grows
        1. Pre-Medical
          can you please elaborate on this a little more?

You can consider the big reservoir as a very wide pipe and the syphon as a much smaller pipe. You have (supposedly) laminar flow and the points are at the same height. Apply Bernoulli's law and you'll have faster velocity of movement and lower pressure in the tube with lower area.

dmf2682

Membership Revoked
          Removed
          May 30, 2011
          1. Pre-Medical
            .5*density *velocity^2

This is a way of expressing Bernoulli. Air over a wing flows faster than the air flowing on the bottom surface. So the dynamic head is higher on top than on the bottom. In an ideal situation the total pressure is constant, which means the top of the wing sees a lower static pressure than the bottom. So over the area of the wing the bottom gets pushed on more than the top, and lift is generated.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.