Concern About Re-applying to Different Schools

Started by chewwy025
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chewwy025

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

A lot of the threads on the Re-Applicants Forum have been about concerns with re-applying to the same schools again, but my concern is actually about applying to different schools this time around. Specifically, my concern is that the new schools I decide to apply to this time around will ask themselves, "so why didn't he apply here in the first place?" and be more skeptical with my application-when in reality, I was constrained from applying to some of those schools in the first place because of financial limitations and a need for a wide spectrum of schools. I realize that committee members from these schools know that re-applicants tend to include new schools their second time around, but I don't want them to think that I have less inherent interest in their school(s). What can I do, besides to obviously talk about what interests me specifically about their school, to avoid this problem? Am I just being paranoid?

Just for reference, I was a very late applicant last year (AMCAS verified late September, most secondaries sent out late October-early December), and got one interview at UCLA. Had a great interview and was told I was a strong candidate, am currently wait-listed there (most likely not getting off, though) and was told that I likely would have been accepted had I applied on time. My AMCAS for 2009 should be verified any day now, so I will be receiving secondaries soon. cGPA 3.6, BCPM 3.7 MCAT 34 from a top 5 university. There have been 1 or 2 significant changes to my application (extracurricular/job this coming year) that I am including in my updated materials to strengthen my application, and I also acknowledged my reapplication in my PS.

If anyone has any idea, please give me your 2 cents! Thanks so much.
 
Hi all,

A lot of the threads on the Re-Applicants Forum have been about concerns with re-applying to the same schools again, but my concern is actually about applying to different schools this time around. Specifically, my concern is that the new schools I decide to apply to this time around will ask themselves, "so why didn't he apply here in the first place?" and be more skeptical with my application-when in reality, I was constrained from applying to some of those schools in the first place because of financial limitations and a need for a wide spectrum of schools. Am I just being paranoid?

I've applied 3 times, first time 7 schools, 2nd 25ish and 3rd time 15ish schools. Every cycle I added on school which I didn't previously apply to and I was never asked 'why didn't you apply here last year' once. I don't think it's that big a deal and I doubt schools will focus on that in order to use it as some kind of screening device of applicants. So don't worry.