Concern over eligibility for MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med_Leviathan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a History major who has done well in the prereqs and will have completed 7 semesters of serious physiology research (not dish washing) by graduation, most likely with a publication. Assuming a high MCAT score (humor me for a moment), will I be a good candidate for MSTP programs? While my research is strong, I am concerned that I will only have the prereqs + 2/3 upper division science courses by graduation. I will be taking biochemistry my senior year. Also, what if I want to do my PhD in a subject that is not physiology (such as evolutionary biology?) Please help! :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Med_Leviathan said:
I am a History major who has done well in the prereqs and will have completed 7 semesters of serious physiology research (not dish washing) by graduation, most likely with a publication. Assuming a high MCAT score (humor me for a moment), will I be a good candidate for MSTP programs? While my research is strong, I am concerned that I will only have the prereqs + 2/3 upper division science courses by graduation. I will be taking biochemistry my senior year. Also, what if I want to do my PhD in a subject that is not physiology (such as evolutionary biology?) Please help! :scared:

You definitely don't have to do research in the area you studied as an undergrad. At least that's what I've gathered. Especially if you're staying within biological sciences. If you can I'd take more upper div science courses, but if not, I'd think you should be alright. That's assuming you do as well as you're hoping in the few upper divs you take. Your research is the important part. You're going to get enough bio to last a lifetime in med school. Make sure you check out the requirements at the schools you want to apply to though, some require more than the basics. For instance, UCSF requires anatomy. Best of luck :luck:

Caribou said:
You definitely don't have to do research in the area you studied as an undergrad. At least that's what I've gathered. Especially if you're staying within biological sciences. If you can I'd take more upper div science courses, but if not, I'd think you should be alright. That's assuming you do as well as you're hoping in the few upper divs you take. Your research is the important part. You're going to get enough bio to last a lifetime in med school. Make sure you check out the requirements at the schools you want to apply to though, some require more than the basics. For instance, UCSF requires anatomy. Best of luck :luck:

hold on. does ucsf explicitly require anatomy?

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSF doesn't require anatomy. Here is the link to their requirements: http://www.medschool.ucsf.edu/admissions/apply/gettingstarted.aspx#courserequiremnts

The only special requirement is that you need one year of biology with lab and the biology class needs to cover vertebrate zoology. I think most general biology classes will satisfy this requirement as well as courses in genetics, cell physiology, and comparative vertebrate anatomy.

Wow! Are you my twin or something? :laugh:

I was a history major and the only other science courses I took besides the pre-reqs were 2 semesters of intro biochem, and microbiology. I got a slightly below average MCAT score. I did 3 years of menial undergrad "research" and spent 4 years post-college as a full-time lab tech. I am now starting my 2nd Year at Case Western.

As has been said before, quality of research and the ability to communicate that well to interviewers is of utmost importance. Good GPA/MCAT will get your foot in the door, but your research and interviews are generally what gets you an acceptance.

I believe that most MSTPs don't require an immediate declaration of dept affiliation, but my impression could be wrong. You can get your PhD in any biomedical science you desire, and some schools are OK with other fields (such as epidemiology, computer science, physics, etc).

Hope that helps.

-X

Med_Leviathan said:

cadilakgrl said:
UCSF doesn't require anatomy. Here is the link to their requirements: http://www.medschool.ucsf.edu/admissions/apply/gettingstarted.aspx#courserequiremnts

The only special requirement is that you need one year of biology with lab and the biology class needs to cover vertebrate zoology. I think most general biology classes will satisfy this requirement as well as courses in genetics, cell physiology, and comparative vertebrate anatomy.

My bad, I misremembered. I knew it was something my school didn't offer that I could make up for by taking genetics. sorry about that.

Med_Leviathan said:

There is no problem with being a history major and applying for MD/PhD. There are many famous physician-scientists (including Nobel prize winners) who started out as humanities majors in college. Just make sure you can explain your reasons for pursuing the combined program. And don't forget that the whole package is important.

Thanks for your responses. The situation is the same as it was when I originally made this thread, but now I am more excited about basic science than ever. I am currently sitting on a 3.9 and will continue my research over the summer (with the same great PI) and have applied for fellowship support. I am dead set on Pritzker/Tri-I right now. I will take your encouraging words to heart and will happily listen to advice that anyone else wishes to provide.

Another successful humanities major here. It hasn't been a problem at all as far as interviews/acceptances. The big thing is to show your dedication to/knowledgabilty about research, and clearly you have the experience. I typically was the only humanities major at any particular interview weekend, but it made individual interviews interesting because I had something to talk about besides my research. And it's suprising how many big important PIs (ie I thought approximately zero) were humanities majors in college or even for a masters - they made for fun interviews.