Concerned about five Ws and other issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fakesmile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I withdrew from last semester and now I have five W notations, more specifically WEs (Withdrawal under Extenuating Circumstances). I was told that I won't need to worry about it as long as everything else in my application is competitive, but the problem is they aren't competitive (please see bottom for my weaknesses). So I constantly worry about it. I will be able to provide necessary medical documentation, but since it is related to mental health (depression), I am also struggling with the issue of whether to give full disclosure about my medical condition.

If I completely guard any specific info about my medical condition and just vaguely say that it's been well taken care of since then, then I fear adcoms might not believe that and rather be concerned about it, possibly thinking that I might drop out of med school due to this medical condition I make as a secret from them.

On the other hand, if I give full disclosure, there may be some negative effect resulting from stigma/prejudice about mental health, since adcoms are people too despite their medical background. I must reassure the adcom that I will remain on an even keel and not drop out of med school with academic/ medical problems, but this is easier said than done and this makes me hesitate to decide to take the path of giving full or at least partial disclosure. If I don't do a good job of explaining, I fear this will actually work against me.

I just feel like I introduced myself one additional hurdle to overcome, if other obstacles I'm already facing aren't enough. The other obstacles or weaknesses I'm talking about are as follows:
-Averagish GPA of 3.7
-Haven't taken MCAT yet but expect a 30 based on practice tests
-Taking 6 years to graduate undergrad (the foremost reason for taking two additional years is to take more BCPM courses to upgrade my BCPM GPA, but then since this explanation has a chance of reducing my attractiveness as an applicant, I have decided to do a double major, though I know you can graduate in 4 years double majoring in biochem and statistics. At least I feel that double majoring is a better explanation for why you took more time to graduate. But note that this isn't the only reason I'm double majoring; I've added stats as an additional major because I have it as a back-up plan to become an actuary in case I don't get into med school.
-Taking only 4 courses in my first two years of undergrad (this is the norm/considered full-time at my school)
-Only 1 year of hospital volunteering (currently looking for other volunteer positions but my area only has useless positions like baker, bingo game facilitator, etc. I saw Lizzy saying that if you can smell patients, then that's good, but I doubt that applies to those positions as well.)
-No shadowing yet

My only strength is my involvement in school for 2+ years as a peer educator and mentor and in community as a club's event coordinator.

One thing I'm considering, though it has a very small chance, is getting my school to allow me to reverse the WEs to extended deferrals (similar to Incompletes), which will enable me to complete the courses in the near future, after which the WEs will be replaced with grades. But as I said, this is very unlikely to happen at my school which is strict regarding WEs (one school official I already talked to said, to her knowledge, WEs are not reversible) and I'm only considering this as just another option.

Please post none of the following:
-Making a joke on my situation
-Name-calling
-Excessive encouragement giving false hope or excessive criticism giving discouragement

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Of course, 5 W's don't look good as you already know. Mental health is considered a medical condition by many. Maybe you will not need to explain in depth the situation.

I face a similar situation since my condition that I had is considered by some to be simply a somatic complaint caused by some kind of unconscious thinking although there has been no evidence to suggest to this date that supports this idea by research. Still, I had to face criticism when I was hospitalized, that I was somehow doing it on purpose or that I was depressed and that was causing my complaints. Even though I wasn't any of those things.

My condition is what has made me want to go to medical school and help others in similar circumstances, however I might have to disclose what I had. Depending on where and when the people who interview me attended school will determine whether merely having this condition at one time will have a negative light shown on me.

I'm still unsure of how to handle this. It's been on my mind a lot, so I'm interested to hear what others have to say.