Concerned Undergrad: Effect of a C on transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Proventus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

First timer here & have an important question, and wanted your feedback.

Currently I'm a rising sophomore at my State U's Honors Program. I'm following the Pre-Med route, but haven't been doing great in my science classes...I recently got a C in General Bio 2 because there was a mixup with my time to take the final exam. I'm getting a letter from my T.A to validity this and I was also planning on taking the course over again, just to prove I'm better than that to Med school though it won't count for my GPA. My cGPA is a 3.48 right now, largely brought down by the C. Here's my breakdown

Gen Biology 1: B
Honors Gen Chem 1: B+
1st Year Writing: B+
Gen Biology 2: C*** (Retaking Class)
Honors Gen Chem 2: B

Physics 1: A
Physics Lab: A
Chemistry Lab: A
Creative Writing: A
Calculus I: A
Calculus II: A

Next semester I am taking (19 Credits):

Honors Organic Chemistry
Physics 2
Physics 2 Lab
Genetics
Cell Biology & Neuroscience
Statistics

I am mostly determined to change my work ethic, which I think can helping stay on course for a 4.0 next semester. I understand some of you may dismiss this as overworrying etc, but I see this as a legitimate concern and was wondering whether I would still be able to attend a competitive medical school. My dream was always to attend Stanford Med but I realize I have to work harder and that MCATs also heavily factor in...just wanted your opinion! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

There's no good reason to retake Bio since you're going MD and there's no grade replacement (maybe at your uni, but the C will still factor into your med school application). I'd say try not to let a C happen again, but one or two won't ruin you as long as your other grades are good. If I were you I'd spend my time doing other things.

I once missed a CC physics final in HS, but luckily I was on track for an A and the professor had MUCH sympathy (exam wasn't in the normal area). Good luck with your next semester.

Agreed, you can redeem yourself if you have a steep upward trend in not only the remainder of your pre-med prereqs but also upper division biology coursework (Biochemistry, Genetics, etc). You should be fine without retaking. Just work hard to get those grades up.