Concerned with Admission Requirements.

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BamaWorKs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am currently interested in the career of Optometry. I have been trying to do some research on what it takes to get in, but I feel that personal experience a number of you have can also be a great example of what to expect on admissions. I currently want to get into IU. My GPA upon completion of my Senior Year should be around 3.5-3.6 with overall science GPA 3.6. I should have really good recommendations (one being from the president of the university due to university service) as well as good extra curriculars. My only issue I have is that I am really concerned with a blemish on my Transcript. Freshman year, first semester, I got a D and a C in courses (I came in with unrealistic expectations and no work ethic. One course was College Algebra, but I later took calc and Aced it.), but since then on I have gotten all A's and only a few B's for 90 hours (aside from one C).

I won't take the OAT until later this year, but I was curious about how I stand at the moment. With an acceptable OAT score, could I be sitting well?
Also, how important is it for me to work with or have observation experience with an optometrist. I am going to try to look into observing this summer.

(My friend has instilled an inferiority complex in me, he has a 3.96 GPA with 390 on the OAT).

Thanks for your input, as it is GREATLY appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

BamaWorKs,

You should be fine. The admissions committee will likely ask you your story, and lucky for you, they like hearing about improvement. Score above a 300 on every section of the OAT and be prepared to talk a lot about "why optometry?" and "why you'd make a good optometrist," and you should be fine. You're posting/reading SDN, so you should be able to demonstrate knowledge about the career, which is what they like to see.

G'Luck!

ahh the only depressing part is I'm gonna cram a few of these prerequisites all together at once :) Let's get extreme! I really hope this all works out though.

Perhaps you can answer this. How much do you study? I'd imagine it's the largest portion of your life, but nonetheless, I'm curious. The courses appear extremely rigorous and, of course, all kinds of fun :). What about debt? How much do you figure you will graduate with/how much does it loom over your head?

Perhaps you can answer this. How much do you study? I'd imagine it's the largest portion of your life, but nonetheless, I'm curious. The courses appear extremely rigorous and, of course, all kinds of fun :)
I study much more than I thought I would. Once you prove that you're "smart enough" for OPT school and get in, then it doesn't matter if you're the smartest in the class or not, it only matters how hard you can work. In a situation where lots of memorization will be required of you it's not all about brains, but more dedication, repetition, etc. Study skills/time management abilities and things like that will play a much bigger role in OPT school than you've probably ever had before.

What about debt? How much do you figure you will graduate with/how much does it loom over your head?
Debt's gonna be nice and hefty, but not as bad as in some professions...I'm OK with having it since 99% of optometrists pay it off successfully. I'll probably end up around $100,000 in debt, but that's something I try not to look too closely at if I can avoid it ;)