Concerning OChem Studying Materials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WSHRocks

Pampelmuse
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I'm going to be a TA for Organic Chemistry I&II for next year, which will be right before I take the MCAT. I'm wondering if I'll still be able to maximize my score if I buy the EK book over TBR. I did very well in both classes (although moreso in the first semester)

My main concern about my formal education in the subject is that the teachers for both semesters did not emphasize the nomenclature of molecules, so I cannot easily name a molecule with multiple substituents in the correct order. I tried to keep up with the nomenclature, but, since we never practiced it, I feel that that is a soft area for me. Also, lab techniques from the class were mostly GC, NMR, and IR, while the other spectrum analyses were not taught (to my knowledge).

Will I still be able to get all of this information in a decent manner in EK? I'll probably pore over my OChem textbook for nomenclature, and I might be able to borrow someone's lab book for further techniques, but does EK provide a good and concise summary of what I need to know about nomenclature and lab techniques?

Additionally, I have never taken a formal class in physiology or anatomy, so will TBR Bio be enough of a source for knowledge of these things? My only exposure to certain parts of both were when I self-studied for that portion of AP Bio (our class only covered about CH1-25 of Campbell's!), and we never studied it in college biology II.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I guarantee you, if you can TA OChem, you can ace MCAT OChem with just EK. Nomenclature is a matter of memorization.

Agreed. I don't even use the ek book, but ek 1001 questions for ochm is great.

Honestly, I use my textbook for ochm. It's really good.

Also, use the internet for ochm. I also did well @ ochm so it's just about refreshing memory.

I would say just EK Ochem and you should be set. I honestly like EK ochem. Now that I've covered ~2/3 of it, I'm starting to feel pretty confident for organic. I'm still no rockstar, but I think the EK book is a great down and dirty this is what you need to know book.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the answers to the OChem guys.

How about the physiology and anatomy though? Since I was in high school, I never had to buy the Campbell's but I do have a practically unopened text (I think it's called Life by Sadava) from the "upper level" intro bio (it's for AP kids) of freshman year. Is it even necessary, since TBR bio will probably be more concise and centralized around the MCAT? Any other textbooks you recommend I buy used to better fortify my physio/anat knowledge (for example, from such a course in college)?

WSH

TBR bio is the antithesis of "concise." However, it will contain all the bio you need, and more. EK bio is concise but won't explain things in depth. Don't waste your money on textbooks.