Concerns and questions from a Pre Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wuracio

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you who read books about life during medical school and internship. I just read a couple of books 'Learning to play God' and 'Intern Blues' from Dr. Robert Marion. They were very informative but are they accurate? I mean they sound really scary because of all the stress and pain the Interns had to go through. The books just gave me reasons to doubt myself because I don't know if I am ready for that level of commitment. Any insights from real med students and interns? Thanks. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I've read books of the type you describe and can only say that the experiences you go through as a medical student and then an intern/resident are varied and very individualized. No two doctors or doctors-to-be will view their experiences in the same way, and so you shouldn't let books like those discourage you from pursuing an MD.

I find that most doctors, at some point in their careers, become very cynical and often times that will project into everything else they do. These books have been written by hardened physicians who trained a time when internship was a lot more hellish than it is now. While I'm a lowly third-year who's still wet behind the ears as far as rotations go, 2+ years of medical school teaches you the natural history of your gradually changing personality. :) And, if you ask me, that's the scariest part.

Haven't read any books, but will be an intern in about 6 months. Basically you can do anything for a year, unless you're a real wuss. Internship is hard, though very educational. Ultimately, don't base your decision on what your life will be like for one year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Wuracio:
•Just wondering if any of you who read books about life during medical school and internship. I just read a couple of books 'Learning to play God' and 'Intern Blues' from Dr. Robert Marion. They were very informative but are they accurate•

My third year of medical school was a lot more hellish than my internship, and I'm a surgery resident. Lots of that had to do with some of the residents that I the unfortunate luck of being teamed up with back then.

Tens of thousands of doctors have made it alive through their interships. I'm certain you will too.

check out "the house of God". this is a classic book about the experiences of 1 intern. it was required reading in my program. much of the slang in medicine today originated with this book...