Concerns over meaningful and sufficient clinical experience:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woktheline

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted this on r/premed but received nothing but unhelpful options. Also my premed advisor is on vacation so I need to be talked off the ledge and/or come up with an attack plan when I am back in city of residence after break.

Hi there,

So I plan to apply 2022 cycle. Will have following stats (pending Orgo 2 results):

• potential 4.0 science gpa, 3.5 undergrad (English/philosophy)
  • 3 first author pubs; 5 secondary, uncountable research hours
  • about 100 hours shadowing multiple specialties
  • MCAT pending (4/30)
And I volunteer at a hospice currently, but they are indefinitely blocking volunteers from in our outpatient service due to more COVID ****.

How on earth do I get meaningful and consistent clinical vol hours?? I hold a full time job, prep for MCAT and will be taking biochem in spring, so scribing isn’t an option. I am not against pushing a cycle, but man that would be soul crushing with what I have gone through recently to get to here.

I know the response is “just keep looking” but I live in the DC area and have literally called every single hospital and clinic I can find to no avail. I have a checklist I can even post of this effort.

Welcome any and all feedback! Hopefully this discussion helps others also in my position—thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not familiar with that area but I did a quick search for homeless shelters, as this should indicate a lower income / high needs area. The area between Gaithersburg and Rockville came up as a candidate. I cross-searched for emergency departments in this area and found Adventist Healthcare. I searched 'volunteer' on their website and found Shady Grove Medical Center, White Oak Medical Center, and Rehabilitation as formalized opportunities to volunteer within their network. Shady Grove indicates they are full and to pursue an opportunity in January, however the other two options appear viable. They specifically mention COVID-19 vaccinations as part of the application process, so it looks like they may take you in.

Have you already looked into these?

Reactions: 1 user