Conference recommendations

Started by obieards
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

obieards

thanks be to depakote
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I get a nice yearly conference budget ($1,000). As a first year resident what conference would you recommend I attend? Might you have recs on good conferences for 2nd and 3rd year path residents? I'm saving the 4th year "conference" for Osler....

Thanks,
-Obieards
 
Hello,

I get a nice yearly conference budget ($1,000). As a first year resident what conference would you recommend I attend? Might you have recs on good conferences for 2nd and 3rd year path residents? I'm saving the 4th year "conference" for Osler....

Thanks,
-Obieards

There are three main conferences in pathology are:

1. USCAP
2. CAP
3. ASCP

USCAP seems to be the best overall.
 
Depends on your goals. If you're going to do diagnostic path, the given ones are solid options. I'd also think about trying to hit a more local conference in your third or fourth year, as a means to help yourself in the job market. If you're looking at niche area within pathology (ie, blood banking, forensic, renal, etc), think about trying to hit their meeting. Those fields are quite small, and can help in the fellowship and job hunt to make yourself a known face.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Depends on your goals. If you're going to do diagnostic path, the given ones are solid options. I'd also think about trying to hit a more local conference in your third or fourth year, as a means to help yourself in the job market. If you're looking at niche area within pathology (ie, blood banking, forensic, renal, etc), think about trying to hit their meeting. Those fields are quite small, and can help in the fellowship and job hunt to make yourself a known face.

👍

I'd also at least -consider- doing Osler in 3rd year instead of 4th. I forget when they offer it, but I've heard people say that it's a good kick in the pants and sometimes one needs a solid year (rather than perhaps a few months) to alter their preparation methods after Osler but prior to boards.