Confession time: I'm a crappy student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrawnyguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was managed to do pretty well during my undergrad years. I did well enough, in fact, to land a spot in one of the more competitive PT programs in the country. Coming into PT school I was actually feeling pretty confident, but so far it's been a punch in the gut. You see, I was a HORRIBLE student during my undergrad years. I was a pretty bright guy who was able to skate through school with minimal effort. I never really took great notes and my study habits were atrocious at best. Needless to say it's coming back to bite by in the @#$ right now. Every person in my program is so damn smart that winging it isn't going to cut it anymore. Not only am I trying to drink from the firehouse that is PT school, but I'm also learning to be a good student for the first time in my life. To complicate matters I'm in my mid-30s so I have many years of bad habits to break.

Anyone else been in a similar situation? Any resources out there that you used to light a fire under you and get you headed in the right direction?

Members don't see this ad.

Ummm..yep, me. Took it in the face BIG TIME. Skated through high school, got into an elite college, did OK....I mean, bad GPA but considering the class level, I was OK in the middle. Then years later, I waltzed through community college with straight As to get the grades for PT school. Only to be whacked by the first semester. For me, I had to re learn everything. I visited an academic counselor who didn't help much other than to highlight (to me) the obvious fact that other people study. I was failing by the 1/2 way point of my first semester. I couldn't just walk in and take a test and pass anymore. So, I was forced to desperate measures. To me, making flash cards was the best way. I forced myself to write flashcards and then recall. The good thing is, honestly, if you are smart, you will do well. Once I started actually blocking off hours to study and doing flashcards, I went from back of the class rapidly to top of the class. So I had positive feedback right away. it was just a hard lifestyle to learn. Anki (flashcard app/online thing) saved me. You can do it, just buckle down and get your head straight.

Reactions: 2 users
I was managed to do pretty well during my undergrad years. I did well enough, in fact, to land a spot in one of the more competitive PT programs in the country. Coming into PT school I was actually feeling pretty confident, but so far it's been a punch in the gut. You see, I was a HORRIBLE student during my undergrad years. I was a pretty bright guy who was able to skate through school with minimal effort. I never really took great notes and my study habits were atrocious at best. Needless to say it's coming back to bite by in the @#$ right now. Every person in my program is so damn smart that winging it isn't going to cut it anymore. Not only am I trying to drink from the firehouse that is PT school, but I'm also learning to be a good student for the first time in my life. To complicate matters I'm in my mid-30s so I have many years of bad habits to break.

Anyone else been in a similar situation? Any resources out there that you used to light a fire under you and get you headed in the right direction?

If you actually need external motivation to make yourself study, you're in for a world of hurt.

You have already identified several variables that YOU must change. Change them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Your university should have academic resources; most may be geared to undergraduates, but the techniques used are relevant for all. I recommend using those resources. Don't worry about what your classmates are doingl focus on what you can do to maximize your learning, comprehension, and synthesis of the material.

Reactions: 1 users
Ummm..yep, me. Took it in the face BIG TIME. Skated through high school, got into an elite college, did OK....I mean, bad GPA but considering the class level, I was OK in the middle. Then years later, I waltzed through community college with straight As to get the grades for PT school. Only to be whacked by the first semester. For me, I had to re learn everything. I visited an academic counselor who didn't help much other than to highlight (to me) the obvious fact that other people study. I was failing by the 1/2 way point of my first semester. I couldn't just walk in and take a test and pass anymore. So, I was forced to desperate measures. To me, making flash cards was the best way. I forced myself to write flashcards and then recall. The good thing is, honestly, if you are smart, you will do well. Once I started actually blocking off hours to study and doing flashcards, I went from back of the class rapidly to top of the class. So I had positive feedback right away. it was just a hard lifestyle to learn. Anki (flashcard app/online thing) saved me. You can do it, just buckle down and get your head straight.

I was panicking a bit last weekend, but I think I actually might be finding my stride. I've started focusing on quality, rather than quantity when it comes to my study time. I've been trying something called the Pomodoro technique this pas week. You set a timer for 25 minutes and go all out. Then take a 5 minute break. After 4 cycles you take a longer break. I have even found a cheesy app that makes a kind of game out of it. You get points for completing each block without getting distracted. It probably sounds stupid but I think it's working. The shorter study periods seem to help with recall better than just battering myself over the head for hours on end. On today's exam I actually improved quite a bit over my earlier exams. I still have a long way to go but I'm getting there.

I'll be sure to check out that flashcard app. We have big test in a couple of weeks over pretty over Hip and Knee anatomy that looks to be a bear. Having some flashcards to look at on the go would be a big helps. Thanks!

Me. First semester. But after that I stuck to good study habits and did well.

What worked best for me was time management. I stuck to a hardcore schedule. I only rewrote notes for things either I missed or during times I was connecting the dots between core courses and their application, i.e., gross anatomy and kinesiology/biomechanics. I also sacrificed a lot of social time.

I used a white board for memorization and concept comprehension. I would write the information down AFTER verbalizing it. This allowed me to memorize the information quicker due to the visual and audible feedback.

I had a set time for social media, snacks, etc. I'd like to take this time to thank Starbucks, Dunkin' Donuts, and Rockstars.

Reactions: 5 users
Don't study things that you already know. It makes you feel good but it's wasting your time. Identify what you don't know and start making flash cards. Find a reliable study partner and don't talk about anything other than that particular subject. Forget studying in groups. Too much conversation in my experience.

Download Focus Me, an app you can download on your computer. It's $97 but that's a lot cheaper than getting ejected from the program:
https://focusme.com/

Disclaimer: I make zero commissions on this app.

I was panicking a bit last weekend, but I think I actually might be finding my stride. I've started focusing on quality, rather than quantity when it comes to my study time. I've been trying something called the Pomodoro technique this pas week. You set a timer for 25 minutes and go all out. Then take a 5 minute break. After 4 cycles you take a longer break. I have even found a cheesy app that makes a kind of game out of it. You get points for completing each block without getting distracted. It probably sounds stupid but I think it's working. The shorter study periods seem to help with recall better than just battering myself over the head for hours on end. On today's exam I actually improved quite a bit over my earlier exams. I still have a long way to go but I'm getting there.

I'll be sure to check out that flashcard app. We have big test in a couple of weeks over pretty over Hip and Knee anatomy that looks to be a bear. Having some flashcards to look at on the go would be a big helps. Thanks!
I did something similar to you...didn't know it had a name! I would go 45 mins hard core, then get the 15 mins off at the end of the hour. Eat/facebook/post on here. I see how the 25 mins probably works even better. Another tip that worked for me is talking outloud. Basically, the most ways you can plant info, the better....so writing it, talking it, drawing it, recalling it. Bonus points if you do all that at once. It works great with flashcards. The flashcards asks the question...then you respond in every way possible. So efficient!

Khanacademymedicine and Osmosis videos on YouTube. Watch their videos for whatever cardiopulm or neuro topic you have in class next. Go to class. Pay attention. Take notes like your friend is sick and is going to need to copy them from you. If you do this you should have a much easier time getting through those two classes.

Do you remember which Anki app you used? I see several in the Apple store but the one with the same logo as the program I put on my computer is 25 bucks. I already created a few hundred cards so at this point I would probably pay the cash rather than find a free program and start from scratch.

Do you remember which Anki app you used? I see several in the Apple store but the one with the same logo as the program I put on my computer is 25 bucks. I already created a few hundred cards so at this point I would probably pay the cash rather than find a free program and start from scratch.
I did the original paid one....so sorry, can't vouch for the others.

Your university should have academic resources; most may be geared to undergraduates, but the techniques used are relevant for all. I recommend using those resources. Don't worry about what your classmates are doingl focus on what you can do to maximize your learning, comprehension, and synthesis of the material.
I personally did well in passing PT school by straight rote textbook learning and memorizing. However, my recall of the material and 'connecting the dots' later on was poor. I would recommend that instead of aiming to memorize for example all the muscles in the arm, go a step further and ask what muscles are activating in order for you to pour a cup of water. This may be too much "work" for your brain but this extra thinking will help create more connections in your brain to better recall information when required.