Conflicted with choosing a program, help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UNC or MGH?

• UNC

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • MGH

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

ruggergrl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been mulling this over for a bit, and I haven't made any progress talking it out with family/friends/myself, so I figure I'll ask non-partial people. I got accepted to my top two choices (which I was not expecting at all), MGH and UNC. Both are very different programs, both are excellent in their own ways, and I'm having a hard time choosing because of a few things.

MGH is close to home, so I wouldn't have to move/pay rent, and I am very familiar with the area, all my friends/extracurriculars are here, my puppy has a great backyard to play in. The program is great, and I love the facilities and the internship, BUT it would probably cost more than UNC (even with the paid internship in consideration).

UNC is obviously further away, meaning I would have to find a place to live with my soon to be big german shepherd (NOT easy), which is very daunting, but I LOVE Chapel Hill and could see myself liking the program there. IF I got in-state tuition, which I would definitely start trying to meet the requirements A.S.A.P, UNC would be loads cheaper than MGH (by about 40-30,000). BUT if I don't qualify for in-state, the cost would be significantly higher than MGH. I don't know anybody in the area, which for me could mean feeling lonely and I don't know if I want to end up living in North Carolina after I graduate.

In terms of how I feel about the two programs, I felt very comfortable at UNC, I like what the faculty have to offer, and I think the small class size is a great advantage. I could see myself going to MGH as well, although I feel with a bigger class size I might get lost in the mix, and I really don't want to live at home (if I move out, costs will rise dramatically, Boston is not cheap!). What it comes down to is MGH is the sensible option, and UNC is slightly more risky in terms of cost. Both would have equally great payoff, with MGH having excellent clinicals, and UNC having the small program in a big school feel, and I think I could do well in both programs and both would lead to a great job. I tend to choose the interesting path rather than the safe one, but I feel like this choice needs a different approach.

That was a little long, sorry!
Any words of wisdom or nuggets of advice? I've been flip-flopping back and forth.

Ooh, neat! I'm going to add a poll.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been mulling this over for a bit, and I haven't made any progress talking it out with family/friends/myself, so I figure I'll ask non-partial people. I got accepted to my top two choices (which I was not expecting at all), MGH and UNC. Both are very different programs, both are excellent in their own ways, and I'm having a hard time choosing because of a few things.

MGH is close to home, so I wouldn't have to move/pay rent, and I am very familiar with the area, all my friends/extracurriculars are here, my puppy has a great backyard to play in. The program is great, and I love the facilities and the internship, BUT it would probably cost more than UNC (even with the paid internship in consideration).

UNC is obviously further away, meaning I would have to find a place to live with my soon to be big german shepherd (NOT easy), which is very daunting, but I LOVE Chapel Hill and could see myself liking the program there. IF I got in-state tuition, which I would definitely start trying to meet the requirements A.S.A.P, UNC would be loads cheaper than MGH (by about 40-30,000). BUT if I don't qualify for in-state, the cost would be significantly higher than MGH. I don't know anybody in the area, which for me could mean feeling lonely and I don't know if I want to end up living in North Carolina after I graduate.

In terms of how I feel about the two programs, I felt very comfortable at UNC, I like what the faculty have to offer, and I think the small class size is a great advantage. I could see myself going to MGH as well, although I feel with a bigger class size I might get lost in the mix, and I really don't want to live at home (if I move out, costs will rise dramatically, Boston is not cheap!). What it comes down to is MGH is the sensible option, and UNC is slightly more risky in terms of cost. Both would have equally great payoff, with MGH having excellent clinicals, and UNC having the small program in a big school feel, and I think I could do well in both programs and both would lead to a great job. I tend to choose the interesting path rather than the safe one, but I feel like this choice needs a different approach.

That was a little long, sorry!
Any words of wisdom or nuggets of advice? I've been flip-flopping back and forth.

Ooh, neat! I'm going to add a poll.

Hello! Congratulations on your acceptances! I don't want to be that guy, but I noticed you said IF you got in-state tuition for UNC in your post. You may need to specifically ask the school if gaining in-state residency/tuition is a possibility because based on my research of other out-of-state programs, ones in which I applied to, it can be difficult.

I found this in an article at this link:

http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ticles/2009/12/23/how-to-get-in-state-tuition

These schools usually have strict rules to prevent out-of-state students from establishing residence and qualifying for lower tuition. They generally grant in-state status only to students who have graduated from an in-state high school or whose parents live in the state, or to adult students who have worked and lived in the state for at least a year and prove their residency by doing such things as voting locally, getting a state driver's license, and paying state taxes. Finaid.org has a list of links to each state's rules.

College officials say that determined out-of-staters have in some cases been able to qualify for in-state tuition, even in strict states such as California, by moving to the state at least a year ahead of time and, for example, taking a job and paying state income taxes, or buying a house near the school to establish residency and reduce dorm costs.

But some states and colleges are so eager to attract out-of-staters that they are making it easy for students to qualify for in-state tuition.

I believe your situation may fall under the second paragraph. However, if I were you I would specifically contact UNC and ask if there are options to gaining in-state residency/tuition. Based on this, I would probably start considering the fact that you may not get in-state tuition with UNC and see if that would sway you one way or the other in your decision-making process. Additionally, I have read on here and been informed by out-of-state programs that I have been accepted to that once you are declared out-of-state for tuition purposes that you will pay out-of-state tuition for the duration of your education. Every state varies in how they approach this topic though, so again it would be best to check with the program for possible options.

With that being said, you may want to visit a previous thread where an applicant asked for help in deciding on a school, here is that link:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/deciding-on-a-school.1051644/#post-14827130

I posted in that thread the approach I used to narrow my choices down to the one. There is a better repayment estimator at this link versus the one I posted in the other thread:

http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/understand/plans

Congratulations again on your acceptances and best of luck to you!

Thanks for the input! Yup, you're right, the second paragraph is more my situation. I've researched UNC's in-state application process, and I know what I need to do to apply for in-state tuition and could absolutely fulfill the requirements. They allow you to apply for in-state after beginning the program. The IF comes from the fact that even if I do all the things required, sometimes people get denied status and have to go through appeals, which could take longer, meaning less semesters under in-state tuition. From talking to current students trying to gain in-state residency, it seems pretty random in terms of which out-of-staters get accepted and denied the first time around.

And thanks for the link to that thread, I have read that one before. I am aware it is my decision, the programs are essentially equal in terms of rankings and student statistics, I have extensively weighed pros and cons, and it is a wash every time. I was hoping to get some additional insight into what to do in this kind of situation, and maybe some new point of views on how I am considering the decision. Cost is important, but it is not the number one priority, and that's where it gets tricky.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be careful banking on in state tuition... I tried to apply for in state tuition for undergrad in NC and was denied. But, it was undergrad so maybe this would be different.

I wouldn't worry about getting lost in the mix with the bigger class size at MGH. I'm a student here and most, if not all, of my professors know my name (I can only think of 1 professor this semester who doesn't know my name). Plus, in your lab classes, you have lab TAs who will know you. My TAs last semester and this semester know my name, know where I'm from, know how I got there, etc. I am actually really, really thankful that I'm in a class of 68. We do a lot of group work (in lab, for projects, etc) and I love having new people in my groups every semester. With a smaller class size, I feel like you would get a lot of overlap, and frankly, if you don't enjoy working with someone, you kinda get stuck working with them when there are less people to choose from. Though that may happen here, I'm in semester 3 and my lab group in my 6 credit class is all people I've never worked with. Obviously this is totally a personal opinion, but definitely an advantage to a bigger class size.

UNC is obviously an incredible school and North Carolina is a wonderful state (again, I'm biased since I lived there through undergrad). Also, Raleigh isn't always the cheapest place to live. There are definitely cheap options, but a few of my friends are paying upwards of $800 in rent to live in the raleigh/durham area. I feel like most of my classmates here in Boston think that the south is such a cheap place to live and joke about $200 and $300 rent, but that isn't quite how it is. This is my opinion, but, I would advise you to not bank on in state tuition and make your decision off of that.

I don't think you can go wrong with either school because they are both great programs. Reading your post, I gather that UNC seems to be the better option and the one you are leaning more towards. I would caution you on looking at rankings, especially the US News rankings, because those are not formulated by the greatest scientific approach. If you read the methodology used on the website you will understand what I mean. Sorry I was unable to provide any additional insight, but if you had to have a conflict, at least it's choosing between these two great programs!

Congratulations! I've also been accepted to UNC and will be attending. I don't know much about MGH or about obtaining in state residency, so I won't be much help there, but I can say that I understand your apprehension about moving to a new city where you don't know anybody or won't have your extracurriculars. I don't expect that is going to be a big problem for you. From what I gathered from the students on interview day you really bond with your cohort through the hours you spend with them every day, forming intramural teams, group studying, etc. You'll be forming a new group of close friends in no time. As far as your dog goes, it may be tough finding an apartment that is pet friendly, but I'm not very familiar with the area. UNC is a great place to be, and I'm sure you wouldn't regret going there if that's what you decide. Good luck with your decision and I look forward to possibly meeting you in the fall!

Getting in state tuition as an out of state student is nearly impossible these days, especially in "popular" states (Carolinas, new York, florida, etc). Unless you qualify as an independent and can show that you work, pay taxes, and have a state drivers license, it's nearly impossible. My brother went to undergrad and grad school in NC and could never qualify. But maybe UNC is different...

Be careful banking on in state tuition... I tried to apply for in state tuition for undergrad in NC and was denied. But, it was undergrad so maybe this would be different.

I wouldn't worry about getting lost in the mix with the bigger class size at MGH. I'm a student here and most, if not all, of my professors know my name (I can only think of 1 professor this semester who doesn't know my name). Plus, in your lab classes, you have lab TAs who will know you. My TAs last semester and this semester know my name, know where I'm from, know how I got there, etc. I am actually really, really thankful that I'm in a class of 68. We do a lot of group work (in lab, for projects, etc) and I love having new people in my groups every semester. With a smaller class size, I feel like you would get a lot of overlap, and frankly, if you don't enjoy working with someone, you kinda get stuck working with them when there are less people to choose from. Though that may happen here, I'm in semester 3 and my lab group in my 6 credit class is all people I've never worked with. Obviously this is totally a personal opinion, but definitely an advantage to a bigger class size.

UNC is obviously an incredible school and North Carolina is a wonderful state (again, I'm biased since I lived there through undergrad). Also, Raleigh isn't always the cheapest place to live. There are definitely cheap options, but a few of my friends are paying upwards of $800 in rent to live in the raleigh/durham area. I feel like most of my classmates here in Boston think that the south is such a cheap place to live and joke about $200 and $300 rent, but that isn't quite how it is. This is my opinion, but, I would advise you to not bank on in state tuition and make your decision off of that.

Thanks for the insight! Yeah, 800 unfortunately still seems super cheap compared to my friends who live in apartments in/around Boston and pay around $1200 for a bedroom o_O
I've been trying to find a few things about MGH since I can't remember from interview day: 1. how is the actual faculty involvement in your education? Open-door policy/available? 2. I don't see it in the curriculum, but is there a research portion of the program (not including GAs)? 3. do most students commute by T/Partners bus or do they drive to campus?

Thanks again!

Congrats on the acceptances! I too was accepted to MGH and UNC, but I have narrowed my choices down to 2 other programs I was accepted to- BU and Simmons-because they both offered me substantial scholarships. But before I got my admissions decisions and I was trying to figure out where I would most likely want to go I talked to a friend who had just finished PT school in Boston and she advised me to go where I would most likely want to settle down. She said she made many good connections at the hospitals in Boston during her clinical experiences, which she was glad to have when it came time to search for jobs. Not to say that if you go to UNC you can't work in Boston afterwards, but if you want to settle back near home it might be worth considering that going to MGH could make that a bit easier. But at the same time- going to grad school out of state would give you the opportunity to live somewhere new, meet people you otherwise would never get to meet, and UNC just seems like a really great place. Personally, finances are a very important aspect of my decision making process (hence my decision to eliminate MGH and UNC from my options), and you may want to calculate what your loan payments would be with both options. You can't go wrong either way, they are both fantastic programs...but they are very different. I really can't give you much advice on deciding, because I am having an equally hard time making my decision between BU and Simmons- but I wish you the best of luck and hope you are very happy with your choice!

As a recent new grad now working and with student loan debt looming over my head, I cannot stress enough how important it is to get your degree as CHEAPLY as you can. Yes, you need to be able to see yourself meshing with a program, but if you feel that you would make a good fit at either of these places, then you should go with the least expensive option. Trust me. I only have my DPT loans and I'm grateful I only have about 74k in debt (with the potential to be over 150k depending on payment plan/interest). I couldn't imagine attending a school that the original amount would be in the upwards of 100s of thousands, and if I had undergrad to pay for too... I mean, yes PT is a good job and I am happy with my starting salary, but it definitely is not going to pay for me to make almost $900 loan payments to pay my loans off in 10 years (when I have a house and other expenses.)

So, as whiny as people get when others harp on price, cost is everything. It's no joke when you're done and you have to start thinking about paying it back.

Reactions: 1 user
As a recent new grad now working and with student loan debt looming over my head, I cannot stress enough how important it is to get your degree as CHEAPLY as you can. Yes, you need to be able to see yourself meshing with a program, but if you feel that you would make a good fit at either of these places, then you should go with the least expensive option. Trust me. I only have my DPT loans and I'm grateful I only have about 74k in debt (with the potential to be over 150k depending on payment plan/interest). I couldn't imagine attending a school that the original amount would be in the upwards of 100s of thousands, and if I had undergrad to pay for too... I mean, yes PT is a good job and I am happy with my starting salary, but it definitely is not going to pay for me to make almost $900 loan payments to pay my loans off in 10 years (when I have a house and other expenses.)

So, as whiny as people get when others harp on price, cost is everything. It's no joke when you're done and you have to start thinking about paying it back.

Yes, cost is a factor that is important to consider, for sure; my main issue with cost comparison is that with 1 yr out and 2 yr in-state tuition at UNC (extremely confident based on my situation that I will qualify) compared to living at home (which I'm not sure I can do for another 3 years...) and going to MGH is about 8000 cheaper at UNC. In your opinion, is even that small of a difference worth choosing the cheaper option?

Yes, cost is a factor that is important to consider, for sure; my main issue with cost comparison is that with 1 yr out and 2 yr in-state tuition at UNC (extremely confident based on my situation that I will qualify) compared to living at home (which I'm not sure I can do for another 3 years...) and going to MGH is about 8000 cheaper at UNC. In your opinion, is even that small of a difference worth choosing the cheaper option?

I know you have some other variables with being able/not able to get the in-state tuition (so hopefully that does work out!), with programs that close in price, I guess it doesn't matter, but my school was about 10k a semester, so that would be like one less loan disbursement for me, which to me seems like a lot... And, with interest that 8k will quickly be about 13k and then will continue to compound over the years... So, if you feel relatively comfortable with the price of either school, then you need to decide which curriculum is better for you. Consider how you learn- what techniques and tricks do you use to be successful? For me, although the school I attended was cheaper than the other school I was thinking of, its curriculum also appealed to me more. When I was debating, I made a huge pros and cons list... I'm talking price, living cost, textbook fees, clinical opportunities (# of clinicals, how many weeks each would be, where I would be able to go for them), research opportunities, grant/scholarship opportunities, length of the program, any assistance for passing the boards (like paying for you to go to a review course), etc. I wish I still had the document because I know I looked into more than just those things....

You need to choose somewhere where you will be comfortable and where you will be able to succeed. If you think that living at home for another 3 years is going to be awful, then take that into consideration. (I lived with my parents until I was 26 so I get it haha) However, a lot of my classmates lived at home and they seemed to be just fine... Some definitely pros are that you'll (hopefully) have meals cooked for you, maybe help with your laundry, no bills, etc... That's a definite plus... I will not lie, my house definitely suffered while I was in school. It was rough keeping it clean lol.

I would be careful with thinking you'll get residency in NC. Its not up to the state, it's up to the school that determines if you qualify or not. It's all up to the registrar/bursar office at UNC.

I've lived in NC most of my life middle/high/college and graduated from another state school and lived and worked in Maryland for a couple years while still keeping a NC residency (license, permanent address, and filing NC taxes.)

But when I came back to NC after I ended my work to complete a few pre-reqs, I looked into UNC for a course. I filled out the forms they needed and they didn't qualify me as in state and were charging me out of state tuition. Keep in mind they'll charge you at a graduate rate and not undergraduate. I decided to not pay 2000 for a 4 credit course and instead pay less than 300 at a local CC.

UNC is dumb like that. Good school, but sticklers for no good reason other than because they can.

yikes, tincture! i spoke to the financial coordinator for the program and he said the thing that trips most people up in getting in-state is being considered a dependent under somebody else on taxes (even with switching everything else possible to NC and living in the state continually for 12 months), which i don't need to worry about since i'm older...so hearing your story is surprising.

anyways, due to a dumb calculation error in my excel spreadsheet, mgh ends up being significantly less expensive than unc...looks like my choice has been made! thanks all for your input and stories, it really has helped in my considerations for program choice!

Reactions: 1 users