Conflicted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optometry333

Reaction score
So I'm graduating from my undergrad in about 2 weeks. I went through the entire application process while still taking a ton of the prereq courses... so to say the least, it was very hectic and stressful. I managed to apply to 3 schools... (SUNY, SCCO, and SALUS).

Initially, my dream school was SUNY, but after visiting SCCO, I realized SCCO was the school I wanted to attend.

I got accepted into SALUS, but I need to take Biology II before matriculation in the fall. However, the community college near my hometown offers Biology II, but the class ends August 15. I feel like that's too late, and I don't if it's even worth taking the class. I also haven't visited the school, so I find it hard to envision myself going there. I also don't want to be ungrateful and keep the spot from someone who does really want to go to this school!

I got waitlisted at both SCCO and SUNY, and I just feel kinda discouraged in terms of getting a spot at either of the schools. I'm contemplating just applying for the next cycle since grad school is extremely expensive, so I feel as though I should go to the school that I really want to go to. I just don't know what I would do during the gap year, and I cannot imagine going through the admissions process again. Also, if I were to reapply to the same schools, would I be able to use the same essays, rec letters, etc?

I'm just feeling extremely discouraged at the moment, and I'm not exactly sure to do with my life next year. I'M FEELING VERY LOST.

Members don't see this ad.

I totally understand where you are coming from! The last thing you want to do is settle for a school that you don't see yourself being happy at. It's 4 years! I highly recommend you to go tour SALUS before making your final decision & ask if it's okay that the Bio 2 class ends on August 15.

Last cycle, I applied late and got accepted into 2 schools but at the end of the day it wasn't THE school that I wanted to attend. So, I decided to reapply and build my application to be more competitive. Reach out to the admissions team at SCCO and SUNY to ask what you can do the improve on your application. Such as retaking the OAT, take post-bacc classes or more experience in the field!

In regards to what you can do during your gap year - I worked as a tech in a private practice! If you reapply, you can use the same personal statement (I did) but I did hear that some students make a few changes to theirs. You would need to ask your professors/OD to write another LOR.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Talk to SALUS about your situation. Communication goes a long way.

Can you take biology 2 online? Of course at this point it may not save you time, but I wanted to make sure you explored this.
Yes I actually found a class that ends in July, and I'm registered for it!

I totally understand where you are coming from! The last thing you want to do is settle for a school that you don't see yourself being happy at. It's 4 years! I highly recommend you to go tour SALUS before making your final decision & ask if it's okay that the Bio 2 class ends on August 15.

Last cycle, I applied late and got accepted into 2 schools but at the end of the day it wasn't THE school that I wanted to attend. So, I decided to reapply and build my application to be more competitive. Reach out to the admissions team at SCCO and SUNY to ask what you can do the improve on your application. Such as retaking the OAT, take post-bacc classes or more experience in the field!

In regards to what you can do during your gap year - I worked as a tech in a private practice! If you reapply, you can use the same personal statement (I did) but I did hear that some students make a few changes to theirs. You would need to ask your professors/OD to write another LOR.
Thank you so much for your advice! I'm actually touring SALUS in 2 days, and I'm hoping it will really help me with my decision. Also, SCCO reached out to me and asked if I still want to be on the alternative list, so hopefully some people drop their seats and I end up receiving a seat!