Confrence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

konp

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
}

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's not usually mandatory.

Many residents do go, but many have CME time and don't have to use vacation time.

The more one goes to, the more networking they can do. This can translated into advancing one's career at a faster pace or finding better opportunities.

I have a male friend who is a diagnostic resident in Rochester, New York and it is a four year program and he completed two years already

It seems like he uses all his vacation hours to go to a lot of medical conferences and do presentations there. He has not visited his family back in Northern California for the past one year because he has to use the vacation hours for the conferences. My question is is it mandatory to go to medical conferences and do presentation there? does attending conference affect one's medical career?

i seriously doubt he is required to go to these conferences but chooses to do so, especially if he is having to use vacation time to attend.

If you are presenting at a conference, the program gives time for that outside of vacation time.

Sounds like he is the one choosing how he uses his vacation time.

Moving to General Residency as this is unrelated to people looking for residency positions.

I would ask if this "friend" your SO? As noted above, it seems more likely that he is choosing to go to conference during vacation; programs cannot mandate clinical duties during vacation.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that programs cannot mandate conference attendance on vacation, but if he is going to multiple conferences per year, there is probably some limit to how much the program will cover his actual clinical duties. I suspect they are flexible with 2, especially if he is presenting, and he is choosing to go to the rest with his vacation.

I have a male friend who is a diagnostic resident in Rochester, New York and it is a four year program and he completed two years already

It seems like he uses all his vacation hours to go to a lot of medical conferences and do presentations there. He has not visited his family back in Northern California for the past one year because he has to use the vacation hours for the conferences. My question is is it mandatory to go to medical conferences and do presentation there? does attending conference affect one's medical career?
Many programs reserve some part of the time off for conferences. For example, 3 weeks of vacation and 1 week educational leave. No program I know of reserves *all* the time off for conferences, and the lowest vacation time I ever heard of was 2 weeks/year.

That said, if your friend is really gunning for something competitive (lets say he wants to do interventional radiology and he's otherwise a borderline candidate), he may be going to present at multiple conferences a year to buff up his application. It probably doesn't make a *huge* difference, but there's not much else you can do as a resident to improve a fellowship application.

Why don't you just ask your friend?

Reactions: 1 users
no u dont hae to go to conferences on your vacay time.