Confused about Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krefetz1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys-
I'm a little confused about the whole application process. I've heard people always say that the AMCAS application doesn't begin until June 4th but I went on the website and I started filling out my basic info (undergrad, personal info etc.). If I'm applying to matriculate in the Fall 2014, is all my information that I input in these applications going to get deleted and I will have to restart when the application process begins in June?

I'm also a post-bacc and was wondering if I should just get my transcript from my undergrad institution mailed to them for verification or is it too early for that?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Double check the application year on the application you're filling out. It'll say 2013, which is not what you want. You can't get anything started for 2014 until this summer, as you've heard.

Thank you for the clarification, I appreciate it

Members don't see this ad :)
Additionally, if I remember right, you will be able to enter your information well before the application is open for submission in June. I think...

I just did a quick google search and AMCAS was made available for the 2013 admissions season on May 1, 2012...but now that I think about it, I think it was May 5th. Man, seems like an age ago.

Good luck!

So, in May they let you enter your info only or you can also submit your transcripts and rec letters?

So, in May they let you enter your info only or you can also submit your transcripts and rec letters?

Pretty sure I remember mailing in transcripts and rec letters before the official submission date in June. Anyone else?

I;m just reiterating what the previous post have said. The application that you will want to fill out will not be available unit sometime in May of this year (2013). If you fill out a current application, I think it will carry over some basic info but I believe you will have to re-input your classes and activities, although I could be wrong.

Good Luck!!

Hey guys-
I'm a little confused about the whole application process. I've heard people always say that the AMCAS application doesn't begin until June 4th but I went on the website and I started filling out my basic info (undergrad, personal info etc.). If I'm applying to matriculate in the Fall 2014, is all my information that I input in these applications going to get deleted and I will have to restart when the application process begins in June?

I'm also a post-bacc and was wondering if I should just get my transcript from my undergrad institution mailed to them for verification or is it too early for that?

Thanks for your help.

I did this last year (entered the 2012 just to see what it needed) and if I recall correctly, nothing but possibly some basic demographic information repopulated. If you don't submit the application, I think everything else gets wiped out. You should be able to look it up and check.

A sort of off-topic, but possibly useful tip if you haven't yet registered for the MCAT: make sure you do it with the same email address that you have created your AMCAS application with. If you don't, you'll have to follow up with them after you take the MCAT to have them merge the accounts. I accidentally wound up with two applications because I bought the MSAR and registered for MCAT with one and had the old application started under another. It ended up delaying submission of my primary by about 10 days.

Pretty sure I remember mailing in transcripts and rec letters before the official submission date in June. Anyone else?

Yup, as soon as the application for the year opens up in May, you can mail in your transcripts and LORs because you'll have an AMCAS ID.