Confused about LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTacoElf

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does AADSAS get any LOR? Or do you just send them to AADSAS in order for them to "distribute" them to each school. Is there anything wrong with bypassing AADSAS and having your evaluators send LOR directly to schools?

Request your Letters of Evaluations/Recommendations from Health Professions Advisors, faculty, counselors, etc.
Print the Letter of Evaluation Matching Form and send to individuals who will be writing on your behalf.

NOTE: AADSAS begins accepting letters of evaluation, starting May 1, 2004

So do they send a copy of each one to each school. If a school says its needs 3 LOR and you send 3 to AADSAS is that all it takes?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There are many ways you could send in your LOR.
too bad there are no perfect ways, your mails have a chance to be lost somehow somewhere, so you have to check with school whether they get your mail or not.

back to your question:
you could send in directly. it would save a lot of time, since aadsas takes about 4 weeks to get your letters to your school of choice(assumed that you have submitted and gave them all the money).

The bad side about sending directly is that I applied to 13 schools and my professors probably wont like to deal with possibility of missing my letters, so I sent to aadsas and luckily none of my letters got lost. remember that aadsas could take as many as 5 LORs.

I plan on applying to six schools maximum. I would really like to go the "direct route" but i don't want to make it a hassle for people writing the LOR and i want to keep them all confidential (what is the proper way to ensure the schools/AADSAS KNOWS they are confidential?).

I graduated from college last year and it is about 12 hours away from where i currently live. I plan on getting a prehealth committee letter from the school (i know there won't be a problem sending this out to every school). Also I will get a LOR from my current employer (lab work) to every school.
As for the 3rd letter i really want a DDS one (im working on getting setup for some shadowing in the next week or so hopefully).

Members don't see this ad :)
DrTacoElf said:
I plan on applying to six schools maximum. I would really like to go the "direct route" but i don't want to make it a hassle for people writing the LOR and i want to keep them all confidential (what is the proper way to ensure the schools/AADSAS KNOWS they are confidential?).

I graduated from college last year and it is about 12 hours away from where i currently live. I plan on getting a prehealth committee letter from the school (i know there won't be a problem sending this out to every school). Also I will get a LOR from my current employer (lab work) to every school.
As for the 3rd letter i really want a DDS one (im working on getting setup for some shadowing in the next week or so hopefully).

I would either provide your letter writers with pre-addressed, pre-stamped envelopes or just use Interfolio. All the professors I went to knew about Interfolio and they just upload their letter into the system The drawback is that each time you send out a package of letters it costs money. I think it will end up costing you an extra $30, but I think it's worth it since the company certifies that the letters are confidential. The other advantage with Interfolio is that you can send out extra copies if you want to apply to extra schools later in the cycle.

The other thing to do is have your letter writer provide you with 6 sealed copies which you can use to group the letters and send out a package to each school. Personally, I don't believe in burdening the letter writer so much (even though it might not be that big of a burden).

Apart from all this, I think using AADSAS isn't a bad way to go, since I think schools like AADSAS submissions. They might receive them electronically in a form that enables them to associate the letter with the rest of your file more easily. AADSAS does inform you on the Infosource website when they have received your letters. What I used was Interfolio to AADSAS with matching forms. That gives you the most options in terms of alternate submission pathways in case one (or more) school claims to not have your letter.

Here's what I did. I printed the school addresses and names on AVERY labels and gave them to the people who were writing LOR for me. I also gave them stamps, too. This way they just had to print as many letters as I asked them for and stick the labels and stamps on their official envelopes and toss them in the mail box. I was so greatful to those people writing LOR for me that I tried to make it as easy as possible for them. I had the LOR sent to each and every school and also to AADSAS.

If you don't want to send LOR to each school, follow the instruction on the web. Different schools have different requirements. Some want the letters (and transcript) directly sent to them, and some don't. READ THE INSTRUCTION CAREFULLY!

I'm very tempted to use interfolio actually. Especially because of the confidential certification. I'm gonna write my pre-dental advisor up at school and if he is cool with interfolio, i'm gonna use it. It seems like a far superior way to any other methods in terms of flexibility and ease of use. Great idea for a company by the way. I'm willing to pay a little extra $ to keep things simple for people. :)

aileen said:
If you don't want to send LOR to each school, follow the instruction on the web. Different schools have different requirements. Some want the letters (and transcript) directly sent to them, and some don't. READ THE INSTRUCTION CAREFULLY!

Excellent point. I think, though, that schools are perfectly happy getting all their items from AADSAS, since AADSAS is a certification clearinghouse. It probably works in the reverse as well.