Confused about my experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Soon2bedogtor

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I have quite a few hours of experience...
I have 1000+ hours working in a Small Animal ICU at a vet school, but I worked with LVT's and the vet residents would come assist if needed. Not sure if I can use that as vet experience or not?
Also, I have 1000+ hours as a kennel assistant, BUT a vet was always around, and called me back almost every day to assist with procedures, so I was kennel assistant/vet assistant? IM STRESSING HARDCORE!
 
So I have quite a few hours of experience...
I have 1000+ hours working in a Small Animal ICU at a vet school, but I worked with LVT's and the vet residents would come assist if needed. Not sure if I can use that as vet experience or not?
Also, I have 1000+ hours as a kennel assistant, BUT a vet was always around, and called me back almost every day to assist with procedures, so I was kennel assistant/vet assistant? IM STRESSING HARDCORE!
I would say yes and yes, those both sound like vet experience.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I have quite a few hours of experience...
I have 1000+ hours working in a Small Animal ICU at a vet school, but I worked with LVT's and the vet residents would come assist if needed. Not sure if I can use that as vet experience or not?
Also, I have 1000+ hours as a kennel assistant, BUT a vet was always around, and called me back almost every day to assist with procedures, so I was kennel assistant/vet assistant? IM STRESSING HARDCORE!

Taking care of animals under the instruction of clinicians, residents, and interns = vet experience
Giving medication to animals and performing procedures (catheters, blood draws, doppler, etc.) also under the direction of the doctors = vet experience

Stressing out about it NOW = not worth it
 
So I have quite a few hours of experience...
I have 1000+ hours working in a Small Animal ICU at a vet school, but I worked with LVT's and the vet residents would come assist if needed. Not sure if I can use that as vet experience or not?
Also, I have 1000+ hours as a kennel assistant, BUT a vet was always around, and called me back almost every day to assist with procedures, so I was kennel assistant/vet assistant? IM STRESSING HARDCORE!

If you spent 2-300 of those hours with a vet, just divide the experience up. Estimate how many of those hours were actually spent being supervised by a vet and put those as vet experience and put the rest under animal experience. You can get technical and say you were being supervised the entire time but I highly doubt a vet is going to be supervising the kennel assistants all day...

Also, I feel bad for you because I'm a worrier too and the application process was not very fun after a while. It's gonna be a bumpy year for you. 😛
 
Last edited:
If you spent 2-300 of those hours with a vet, just divide the experience up. Estimate how many of those hours were actually spent being supervised by a vet and put those as vet experience and put the rest under animal experience. You can get technical and say you were being supervised the entire time but I highly doubt a vet is going to be supervising the kennel assistants all day...

Also, I feel bad for you because I'm a worrier too and the application process was not very fun after a while. It's gonna be a bumpy year for you. 😛
it will get better! My boyfriend said if I get accepted to vet school I'm allowed to adopt a ferret. It's my little treat at the end of the road! 🙂
 
If you spent 2-300 of those hours with a vet, just divide the experience up. Estimate how many of those hours were actually spent being supervised by a vet and put those as vet experience and put the rest under animal experience. You can get technical and say you were being supervised the entire time but I highly doubt a vet is going to be supervising the kennel assistants all day...

Also, I feel bad for you because I'm a worrier too and the application process was not very fun after a while. It's gonna be a bumpy year for you. 😛
No, she should include all those hours as vet experience. She was working in an ICU for the entire time. She shouldn't need to divide it up because a vet wasn't present 100% of the time. The majority of tech jobs don't have a vet present 100% of the time.

For the kennel assisting job, she was still under the supervision of a vet and gaining vet experience. Most schools would tell you to count it as vet experience. Mostly because she still learns about the vet industry