Confused about old pre-reqs;Postbac or take MCAT...Please help

Started by nandi0105
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nandi0105

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,I am in desperate need of some feedback. I am so confused about what path to take and will appreciate any input
I am 33 years old, a mother of 3 working as a radiation therapist currently.
-I graduated with a degree in Biology ,GPA of 2.3 ten years ago..(Juggling 2 jobs,family tragedy that I didn't deal with too well)
-I did another Bachelors in Radiation Therapy and graduated with a 3.4 GPA (one year program) in 2007.
-My science prerequisites were taken between 2001 and 2004...about 3.0 GPA.
Given the length of time of my classes, unimpressive grades,should I ...

-Pursue a Master's to prove I can handle upper level science courses?
-Should I focus on studying and taking the MCAT?(Also found most Post Bacs in my area prefer to have an MCAT score)
-Or should I retake all the prerequisites since they are older than ten years?

I have reached out to a couple of schools and they have been very vague as to whether or not I need to retake my classes. I just want to pick the option that makes me a stronger candidate.
Please let me know if you have any idea!
 
Schools like to see recent success in science courses. Most don't have hard and fast requirements which is why they tend to be vague.

IMHO, Your options are basically (1) a do it yourself postbac where you retake all the oldest and lowest scoring prereqs, maybe a few upper levels, all as undergraduate level courses, hopefully get only A's and Bs, then take the MCAT, or (2) do the MCAT and a Special Masters Program (SMP) to prove you can handle the med school level courses. The former will let you take advantage of grade replacement to raise your GPA for DO school purposes. However DO would make it very tough to get a residency in rad onc if that's the ultimate target (given your prior career).

I think you are likely confusing SMP with postbac if you think the local postbacs want the MCAT first -- generally the SMPs do but postbac don't.

I defer to those with more experience with grade rehabilitation, rather then career changing history.
 
The real issue here is that you have 4 years with a 2.3, and one year with a 3.4. So your cumulative undergrad GPA is around 2.5. You should not attempt to do graduate work with this much unredeemed undergrad damage.

Generally to be taken seriously by med schools, you have to produce a multi-year mostly-science very strong undergrad performance. Cookie cutter premeds do a bio degree, and a 3.6 or better in a bio degree is considered "safe". Radiation tech courses may or may not count as science, because professional training isn't counted as science. So the multi-year mostly-science very strong undergrad performance is still in your future, and even if you do great in it, your cumulative GPAs are still a major problem. You will never be at a "safe" GPA, and you will be at the mercy of the eyeballs of the volunteer physicians who review your app and their willingness to look past your topline numbers, specifically, cumulative GPAs and MCAT.

Absolutely don't take the MCAT now. You are multiple years from being well-prepared for the MCAT, and multiple years from being able to use a score in a med school app. Scores expire in 2-3 years.

Generally nobody will responsibly advise you to pursue med school with 5 years of undergrad resulting in a 2.5. But you can find many, many examples of comebacks on SDN.

With 3 kids the first question is who has your back? You need to do the equivalent of 2 full time jobs (one for money, one for GPA) for 2-3 years. Before you look at any details, figure out that big picture.

Best of luck to you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The real issue here is that you have 4 years with a 2.3, and one year with a 3.4. So your cumulative undergrad GPA is around 2.5. You should not attempt to do graduate work with this much unredeemed undergrad damage.

Generally to be taken seriously by med schools, you have to produce a multi-year mostly-science very strong undergrad performance. Cookie cutter premeds do a bio degree, and a 3.6 or better in a bio degree is considered "safe". Radiation tech courses may or may not count as science, because professional training isn't counted as science. So the multi-year mostly-science very strong undergrad performance is still in your future, and even if you do great in it, your cumulative GPAs are still a major problem. You will never be at a "safe" GPA, and you will be at the mercy of the eyeballs of the volunteer physicians who review your app and their willingness to look past your topline numbers, specifically, cumulative GPAs and MCAT.

Absolutely don't take the MCAT now. You are multiple years from being well-prepared for the MCAT, and multiple years from being able to use a score in a med school app. Scores expire in 2-3 years.

Generally nobody will responsibly advise you to pursue med school with 5 years of undergrad resulting in a 2.5. But you can find many, many examples of comebacks on SDN.

With 3 kids the first question is who has your back? You need to do the equivalent of 2 full time jobs (one for money, one for GPA) for 2-3 years. Before you look at any details, figure out that big picture.

Best of luck to you.
Thank you so much for your time and honesty.Fortunately I have a supportive spouse who is able to handle the financial loss, as well as family help with the kids so thats one burden down thankfully.
I will take your advice and put off MCAT prep , and instead focus on redeeming my undergraduate science courses.I had A's in Biochem and Organic Chemistry and Anatomy so I am confident I can do it.I just need a chance to prove it now that I have better focus.
Thanks!!!
 
Schools like to see recent success in science courses. Most don't have hard and fast requirements which is why they tend to be vague.

IMHO, Your options are basically (1) a do it yourself postbac where you retake all the oldest and lowest scoring prereqs, maybe a few upper levels, all as undergraduate level courses, hopefully get only A's and Bs, then take the MCAT, or (2) do the MCAT and a Special Masters Program (SMP) to prove you can handle the med school level courses. The former will let you take advantage of grade replacement to raise your GPA for DO school purposes. However DO would make it very tough to get a residency in rad onc if that's the ultimate target (given your prior career).

I think you are likely confusing SMP with postbac if you think the local postbacs want the MCAT first -- generally the SMPs do but postbac don't.

I defer to those with more experience with grade rehabilitation, rather then career changing history.
Thank you for your input! Given the feedback on this thread,and your advice, I will focus on retaking old and prerequisites with C's and hold off on the MCAT.Thank you!!