Confused about path to dermatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mike59

Sweatshop FP in Ontario
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm confused about how one gets from medical school to a dermatology residency.

I read on a recent post that some programs require a transitional year in a more general specialty- I can see how that is an option.

But aren't there programs to which you can apply straight from med school? (Are those stats for "# School X matches to Derm" counting the transitional year?)

And if not, what is reason for this? Suppose you are in a transitional year program and you don't match in derm, what happens from there, can you continue for 2-3 more years in your internal med transitional program or would you have to apply and jump into a PGY-2 year at an internal med program somewhere else?

Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

You apply to Derm in your fourth year along with a transitional or preliminary year.It is a 3 year program although there are a very few which are 4 year programs and include the internship.Most stats from med school are matches to 3 year programs.You can rank internal medicine categorical programs as a backup if you fail to match in Derm.If you match only in a prelim med program it is usually not a problem to continue on in medicine at your hospital or another institution if thats your choice.If you only match into a transitional it may not count towards an internal med residency.You would have to work out the details of your rotations with the hospital to have it qualify if you plan on staying on in medicine.

Thanks skindoc!

So on ERAS you would technically match into 2 places (one year transitional, and derm for entrance in the following year)?

Also, is derm one of these specialties that participates in that "early match" of competitive specialties?

Thanks again! :)