confused about USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaq786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm confused about the USMLE. On Kaplan's website...USMLE steps 1 and 2 are for canadian and other out of state folks, but then I heard another guy tell me USMLE also applies to people in the states as well.

Who is correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you serious? If this is not a joke or if I'm not misinterpreting what you're asking, I think your head will explode if you take the real thing. Here's a hint: it's called the USMLE - not the CANADIANMLE. :rolleyes:

I think Kaplan may have a combined Step 1 & 2 class for foreigners due to visa issues. That's my best guess. Good luck!

shaq786 said:
Ok I'm confused about the USMLE. On Kaplan's website...USMLE steps 1 and 2 are for canadian and other out of state folks, but then I heard another guy tell me USMLE also applies to people in the states as well.

Who is correct?

USMLE stands for United States Medical Licensure Examination. THere are 3 parts to it. Most U.S medical students will take Step 1 generally after their first two years of medical schools. Step 2 is taken generally 6-7 months prior to graduation in your last year. Step 3 is taken during your residency. You need to pass all three examinations to get fully licensed to practice medicine. Everyone who wishes to practice medicine in the United States (for the M.D. degree) must take and pass all 3 exams. Both, U.S and foreign grads must take the exams to be a licensed physician in the U.S.

Additionally, there is another component to the step 2 now, which is the step 2 CS exam (clinical skills assessment). You must also pass that, in addition to step 1 and 2 to graduate from a U.S allopathic (M.D awarding) medical school.

I hope this helps.

Kaplan is smoking some good grass--they don't know what they're talking about based on what you said. I think you may be misinterpreting what is written on their site.

Good luck--
HT