Confused between the 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chewbakka

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am sure we all are ranking and some are certified. I have a question forum members, how can I rank between these 2 psychiatry programs - Wake Forest SOM and ECU/Brody SOM. Which should come 1st?

Members don't see this ad.

Based on historical looks of programs I would say Wake.
Thank you J Dub for your reply. What do you mean by historical looks? is it when the med school came to be or the program itself?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I would pick based on location and how much you value work/life balance --- I think both are good programs but from what I recall Wake has a pretty laid back schedule, not sure about ECU since I didn't interview there. I think in terms of "name" Wake is probably higher up if that's important to you, but I doubt there's a huge difference in quality of training between the two

You have 2 posts and are already a resident, but you are asking others to differentiate 2 programs? Begs the question: are you a resident? If not, did you interview at these programs?

Why don't you compare and contrast them for us based on your research and the interview day, and then ask others if they have anything to add, or dispute, or whatever...

no I am not a resident, (I guess I filled it out wrong when I was signing up for this forum). I just needed input on how others saw the programs that's all

Reactions: 1 user
no I am not a resident, (I guess I filled it out wrong when I was signing up for this forum). I just needed input on how others saw the programs that's all

When seeking advice, especially about more than one program, it is helpful to us to read your impressions first. You are basically looking for a zebra - someone in the current interview cycle who interviewed at both programs who is willing to tell you which one is "better." Otherwise, you could look at current interview reviews, or go back a couple of years, for opinions - I found that useful when I was interviewing.

I have no insights - did not interview at either one for residency. I did interview at WF for med school - no thank you to the program or the city. NC is an acquired taste...more mid-atlantic than southern, but YMMV.

Good luck.

Thank you J Dub for your reply. What do you mean by historical looks? is it when the med school came to be or the program itself?
Thanks
Historically, Wake is known for being a better program. Personally, I liked the folks at ECU better and having the option of Med/Psy is appealing to me. So, I would rank ECU over Wake. But, if you asked probably the majority of folks, they would say go with Wake.

It depends more on what you value. I got more home town feel from ECU and just liked it better. Both programs are in places I rather not live. But, they are both were solid to me. I do not think ECU gets enough credit as a solid place because it is way out there by itself in a smaller town. And the hospital is the only thing there.

Thanks J Dub and Psychotic. My interview at Wake was nerve wrecking. it was my first iv so maybe that's why. I met most of the residents at the dinner and it was quite fun, but didn't see more of them during the iv day. The PD is a forensic dr and he was cool. I also enjoyed my iv at ECU, it was warm and friendly and I like their curriculum and i met most of the residents on iv day. Yeah J dub,the med-psych program is really a plus. I think location is the only factor in my choice now. I'll take your advice psychotic and look at previous posts about these programs - thank you for that. Thanks guys and good luck in 5weeks