Confused Looking Toward 4th Year

Started by Sardonix
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sardonix

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a little bit confused as to how to proceed with rotations during 4th year. (3rdyr DO student rotating at a suburban/rural site in my home state in the Midwest).

I've read a couple threads on away rotations and the general consensus seems to be "Away rotations are great, but you better do well or it'll bite your chances of being a resident there." Assuming I attend any rotations with the intention of doing well and not looking like a ***** (knock on wood):

1. Given that I want to do an FM in my home state, how vital are away/audition rotations?
2. Should I specifically go after certain sites in order to impress them, or should my mindset be more focused on attending in order to see if I am a good fit?
3. Are electives truly to expand my own skills before residency or are they also a means of auditioning at that program?
5. Is there a specific type of away rotation for FM that would be better than others?

Thanks.
 
1) I would do a rotation where you want to go
2) Both, you can likely quickly find out if you fit in and they will assessing your skills as well as personality
3) You can expand your skills and audition at that program. Be open to learn and put in the extra time
4) not that I can think of

People on away rotations fail when it becomes clear they would not fit in the program be it personality or clinical skills wise. Usually its personality