confused.... need help

mtzrj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I am a sophmore in highschool and ever since somewhere inbetween eigth grade and freshman year I have though I wanted to be a doctor. Although I have considered other possible jobs, being a doctor still comes out on top throughout any situations so far. But I am right now working on a massive science paper (20% of our 2nd semester grade) that is about an experiment we did over about a month and I honestly am having way more difficulties with this than I should be having. Even before I got better at english papers, which was by far my worst subject at the beggining of this year, I never remember having this much trouble. It could be that I am trying to write this as more of an english by elaborating on every deatail paper rather than just stating neccessary facts. It also could be that I havent written one of these since 7th grade. It also could be I absolutly hate the subject its on, invasive plants. And it also could be that this kind of stuff just is not what I was born to do.

I guess so my question is as a doctor would I have to do many of these, are these difficulties normal, and any other useful advice anyone can give would be helpful.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Ok so I am a sophmore in highschool and ever since somewhere inbetween eigth grade and freshman year I have though I wanted to be a doctor. Although I have considered other possible jobs, being a doctor still comes out on top throughout any situations so far. But I am right now working on a massive science paper (20% of our 2nd semester grade) that is about an experiment we did over about a month and I honestly am having way more difficulties with this than I should be having. Even before I got better at english papers, which was by far my worst subject at the beggining of this year, I never remember having this much trouble. It could be that I am trying to write this as more of an english by elaborating on every deatail paper rather than just stating neccessary facts. It also could be that I havent written one of these since 7th grade. It also could be I absolutly hate the subject its on, invasive plants. And it also could be that this kind of stuff just is not what I was born to do.

I guess so my question is as a doctor would I have to do many of these, are these difficulties normal, and any other useful advice anyone can give would be helpful.
Thanks
Depending on what field you want to pursue, it varies in difficulty--
some will require you to put in 80+ hours with crappy pay while others might be much easier
It's all up to whether you're willing and dedicated
You also might change your mind so don't think you're stuck

Thanks

It seems as though you are going through a minor rough patch in your academic career, and feel as if it will affect you in the rest of your life as a student. For what it's worth, back when I was in High School I was a 2.5 student with dreams of one day becoming a mechanic for a local dealership or something to that affect. Fast forward to 6 years after graduation, and I am a 4.0 student getting ready to apply to med school.

My point is, once you mature and become more goal oriented, your focus changes a little and your abilities magnify to suit the situation. Once you are required to get an "A" in those Bio classes, you suddenly become an authority on the subject and are now the go-to guy for those that need help. If you truly crave and desire to become something greater, you will not only let nothing stand in your way, but you will excel and overcome anything that stands in your way. Once your in the professional realm, "D for Diploma" is out the window and "Get an A or I hang myself" is the new mantra.

Cliffs: Don't worry, your not an idiot, just human. Your in high school, and less mature than you think you are in all definitions of the term. You will grow up and get better at studying, writing, reading, as well as doing full reports.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry so much about that until you start college. I think you are too young to be making nit picky judgments about yourself, since you are still trying to find yourself. Heck, I am still trying to find myself. :laugh: Don't let that keep you from still dreaming though. I think you can answer this. Just get through high school. You may find that you will want to be something totally different. Ever consider being a CSI, graduate student, professor at a college, researcher at NASA, etc. There is a huge field of studies that I think you should explore before you even consider being a doctor. I am not trying to discourage you by the way. I just want you to know that you are open to so much in this world.

You still have A LOT of time to work on your study skills and writing skills.

First of all, just relax, and stop stressing out about it so much, its going to be okay. When you think too much about things it often tends to make them even harder than they really are. I, personally, have always had similar problems with writing papers... I absolutely hate it, and still do to this day... Flash to now, I just graduated from undergrad and am starting med school this fall. Don't let things like this stop you if its really what you want to do. Sure throughout college you will have papers to write, including detailed lab write ups similar to what you are talking about. But dont stress, you will get through them. And there are always many opportunities for help, which brings me to another point, dont ever be afraid to ask for help. If you are having a really hard time, try talking to your teacher about it. Find out if you really are trying to go into too much detail. Most of the time teachers aren't out to get you, and want to help you. Good luck with everything!