Confused Non Medico with IM Wife.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crab

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
Being a non medico i had these concerns if any one can pls give some advice.
My wife is doing her IM residency.

1.When is the time she should start looking for job and what happens with her H1 to Green Card. Will the Employee do all that stuff.
2. By the time she is done with her residency she would have exhausted 3 years on her H1.Are the left out 3 sufficient for her to get Green Card.
3.What all is required from her ie should she be Board certified before she applies for jobs ? If Yes when she has to pass that exam ie after the complition of her residency or during final year.
4.Is state Licence also a factor before u can apply for job?If Yes when she has to apply for that Licence ie after the complition of her residency or during final year.
5. How should one proceed in job hunt ie Recruiters, Self or what?
We are looking to following states Virginia, MarryLand,Penselvania,N.Jersey
Are these good states by any means both in job and future prospects.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Crab said:
Hi
Being a non medico i had these concerns if any one can pls give some advice.
My wife is doing her IM residency.

1.When is the time she should start looking for job and what happens with her H1 to Green Card. Will the Employee do all that stuff.
2. By the time she is done with her residency she would have exhausted 3 years on her H1.Are the left out 3 sufficient for her to get Green Card.
3.What all is required from her ie should she be Board certified before she applies for jobs ? If Yes when she has to pass that exam ie after the complition of her residency or during final year.
4.Is state Licence also a factor before u can apply for job?If Yes when she has to apply for that Licence ie after the complition of her residency or during final year.
Thanks

Comeonnnnnnn Anyone answer.

There have been 55 views here but no reply- it may mean that not many people know about this stuff here. though i´m the most ignorant one about the usa visa matters, i can tell you some things

Board certified would be better for getting a job, but she can also apply if she´s board Eligible. Find out about the eligibility criteria with her speciality board

getting a state licence would make getting a job easier, but if she´s selected for any place and is BC/BE anyways, she´ll get the state licence consequently.

First off, your wife should know the answers to these already. Her colleagues at her residency would be good sources.

So I'm confused. She's doing her residency on her H1. On what grounds is she getting a green card? If her employer is sponsoring her, then they will do all the work. If it's through marriage, then you will do all the work. As soon as you apply for green card, all other visas are invalid. You are "out of status" as it were. But you can get a work permit and advance parole (so you can leave and come back) while you wait for them to either say yay or nay.

Again, once you apply for a green card, you are out of status, so it doesn't matter that your H1 will expire.

Again, your wife must know this. No, she doesn't have to be board certified to get a job.

She must have a state license. That has nothing to do with her employers. It is up to her to get the license. She can look for jobs with out it, but she will have to get it before she can start. If she's an IMG, she can't apply for a license until having finished 3 years residency in most states.

Thanks

You can do either or. Recruiters will find you toward your their year. As for the states, it depends where in the states you want a job. Some areas are super saturated with MDs ... others aren't.