Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

confused. plese help!

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by confused4519, May 9, 2008.

1. confused4519

i have a problem... i finished my first two pre-professional years for pharm-D program.. however... my gpa was not at the mark :(.. i dont really know what to do next.... i really want to do pharmacy... can someone please advise

2. HCAOBIinvest

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Other Health Professions Student

Hello Members, I just joined up today and I have been trying very hard to get into pharmacy college lately. Western almost told me that if I took genetics and Organic chemistry lab ii and one more course in something, I probably would be accepted. But cost of living is very high in CA compared to Ohio. However, I totally ignored this direction since I am in Cleveland, Ohio and almost finished doing my MBA concentrating in health care management ( Dec of 08). My GPA in MBA is lot higher (3.53) than the under-graduation. I also invested in real estate and build great houses from age of 27 to age 34.

Now that is the problem, due to being in United States totally on my own from age of 19 has created some effects. Meaning one time I felt home sick and did not drop classes whereas I needed to and ended up getting F's in my transcripts. I did not go to classes or took any exams those two semesters. However, whenever I attended with seriousness I received B+ and A's. Also I completed majority of my course work about 10 years ago and my advisor who was very understanding granted me a degree in 2005 in Biology where I had to finish up 2.5 half semesters worth of classes.

Anyhow, while I am doing full time MBA, I took PCAT( last year in October, 07) and did horrible in it. I only scored 60% in biology and rest is very low. My undergraduate cumulatitive GPA is 2.96 due to the very stupid mistakes of not dropping those two semesters worth of classes. Therefore, my only way to the pharmacy college is doing well in PCAT. I went to Kaplan for it and did not do well last time since I also had to carry 3 classes in MBA. Now I am thinking about taking it over the summer again with two MBA ( I must since I will be done in December) classes. I think with my communicative GPA now would be somewhere around 3.2 or something. What should I do? I do not want to let my Biology degree go to a waste since whenever I paid attention, I did well. Then again I am 35 now and should I go for more degree in finance ( I do not like), accounting ( very dry) and MBA or should I pursue pharmacy since I would like to use my Biology degree which I worked very hard for.

3. Idesiretosling

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    How do you know pharmacy will make you happy? Have you worked in pharmacies? Have you talked to pharmacists and pharmacy students about their experiences?

4. RxWildcat

RxWildcat Julius Randle BEASTMODE!
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Well I wouldn't say thats the ONLY way, people get accepted with GPAs like that, however they are few and far between. How long ago was your undergraduate? Some schools may not care if it was a long time ago. You could always retake pre-req classes to raise your GPA and make it more competitive. I would definitely dedicate enough time to study for the PCAT next go-around. If you're burned out on business, which is what it sounds like, I would not give up on pharmacy if it is what would make you happy.

5. RxWildcat

Pharmacist

We need more details to give you specific recommendations, but you could retake some classes that you did poorly in to raise your GPA.

6. Farmercyst

Farmercyst From the shadows
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Moved a/o prepharm questions.

7. mrblah

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Your never to old to pursue your dream career.
    Retake the F's, they will help your gpa tremendously. How is your science gpa? Retake the pcat, but this time give it all your've got. Your mba is helpful but IMHO it may be enough to differentiate you from other candidates but its not important enough as your gpa and pcat. Your future isn't as bleak as you make it out to be, you just have to put in a little work on your stats to stand out more.

As for what field you want to choose, we can't really help you there. Its a choice you gotta make. Although I have friends who are in finance and accounting, and while they get paid a decent wage, they hate their jobs (and they look at the clock from the time they get there until the time they leave).

8. confused4519

my school requires u to have the min gpa requirement by the may of ur second yr.. and i dont have that... i messed up on one semester... i would retake some classes but i could probably only re-take one class...

does anyone know of any other options?

9. RxWildcat

Pharmacist
    Are you in a 6 year program?

10. mrblah

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    post your stats, unless you want us to guess whats the best course of action for you (you really dont want us to guess).

11. confused4519

i am in a six yr program.. but i dont have the min gpa to stay in it..
    my gpa is a 2.5... its pretty bad.. i would need a 2.7 to stay in..

i dont know where to go from here

12. kitty84

10+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

Hi, why don't you get a Bachelor in something like chemistry or biology? That way you can improve your GPA and things will be easier for you when you apply. Good luck!

13. jyw003

jyw003 just moving along.....PharmD, BCPS, BCPP, APP
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    i think he means..he's in the program already but can't stay in it. i would suggest you work harder next quarter and the only option you can do is reapply to the program. talk to your counselor or academic adviser. which school do you attend?