Confused!!! Plz help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shehzad Roy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...i m currently doing pharmacy but have been recently interested in dentistry. I did A LOT of research on this forum and net as a whole, but the topics discussed in this forum are very advanced. I just have some basic questions. I would greatly appreciate if someone could help me with this :)

1. How many pre-requisites does one need to apply?

(I was actually checking the requirements for Howard, and they are as follow)

English Composition and Literature 6 semester hours Inorganic Chemistry and Labs 8 semester hours Organic Chemistry and Labs 8 semester hours Human Anatomy 6 semester hours Physics 6 semester hours Electives 22 semester hours

Recommended coursework:

Biology lecture/lab 8 semester hours Physiology 6 semester hours Microbiology 6 semester hours Biochemistry 6 semester hours
Total is 80 some credits I think. So does this mean that one can apply as soon as 80 credits?

2. Do you guys 'recommend' to apply before taking DAT (with about 3.41 gpa)

3. Can I apply for Dentistry school this year for the next year if I have following pre-reqs?

Gen Chem 1 and 2

Gen Bio (just) 1

Org Chem (just 1)

English 1

Psych

Sociology

And two more electives

I'm sorry if that's a lot of questions, but I don't know much about dentistry as I am doing pharmacy right now.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Basically 1yr eng, 1yr BIO+lab, 1yr gen. chem+ lab, 1yr orgo, 1yr math would be your pre-req. the more upper division science courses, the better, as they recommend various courses to be taken. this includes biochem, anatomy, physiology, microbio, more math, more eng, and more and more.

also, you don't have to have your DAT score ready before you apply. however, until you send your DAT score, your application will be on hold so it's wise to send DAT score as soon as its ready.

you also don't have to finish your pre-req by the time you apply. You only need to finish them before you get into dental school. You just need to note on your application that they will be taken in following semeter or so. However, i recommend you to finish your science pre-req before you take DAT as detailed knowledge on these subjects is needed on DAT.

correct me if i missed any.