Confused recent Bachelor's graduate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anotherbrickinthewall

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there SDN!

Wow, first of all, what a great idea! I have never heard of SDN until a fellow student of mine had told me about it. Already getting a ton of answers about MD and DO school.

I am currently finished my undergraduate with a degree in Exercise Science and a minor in Biology. I have not, however, met my organic chemistry requirement, and feel as though I need a lot of Postbaccalaureate work in order to start the application process.

Could some of you maybe provide some suggestions for me? I am a bit confused on what to do next and could use some guidance.

GPA: 3.57 cumulative and 3.2 science (2 semesters of general chemistry, 2 semesters of general physics, 2 years of biology, 1 semester of microbiology).

Thanks in advance for any of you that reply and have suggestions!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can tale Orgo at a local CC to save money, or any 4 year school, if convenient. A post-bac can be DIY or an extant program. the best fo these are SMPs, preferably given at a medical school. They are, in essence, the back door route into medical school.

There are many of these programs out there.

Not to be nit picky, OP, and you certainly don't have to answer if you don't wish, but where did you study for undergrad that gave you a minor in biology for three classes? I find that interesting, and I'm curious. Other than that, I agree with Goro on all points. Bear in mind the new MCAT that you'll likely be taking if you haven't already done so. There is more social science involved, so make sure you brush up on psychology and sociology if you haven't taken those classes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to be nit picky, OP, and you certainly don't have to answer if you don't wish, but where did you study for undergrad that gave you a minor in biology for three classes? I find that interesting, and I'm curious. Other than that, I agree with Goro on all points. Bear in mind the new MCAT that you'll likely be taking if you haven't already done so. There is more social science involved, so make sure you brush up on psychology and sociology if you haven't taken those classes!

Apologies, pharmnrp804, I have taken 2 years (4 semesters total) of biology, and will be finishing my 5th this upcoming spring semester. Sorry for the confusion! The minor requires 5 classes total and a semester as a lab assistant for a biology lab of your choice.

You can tale Orgo at a local CC to save money, or any 4 year school, if convenient. A post-bac can be DIY or an extant program. the best fo these are SMPs, preferably given at a medical school. They are, in essence, the back door route into medical school.

There are many of these programs out there.
Thanks for your response!! I was planning on taking orgo this upcoming fall, and prepare for the MCAT. I'm highly intimidated for it, though. I haven't studied on my Physics in a while and also am concerned about the new behavioral sciences section, since it has been a while since taking those courses.

I have been considering many different options for graduate programs (even PA school). I was able to a scribe while finishing my last year of my undergrad, which has been awesome exposure and can also be applied to some PA programs as clinical hours.

Thanks so much for the response, again! I have a lot to think about in terms of the future, but just taking it a step at a time.