1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Confused?!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by bwdgator, Jan 6, 2009.

1. bwdgator

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I am new to the forum so I have a couple of questions:

My info:
    Right now I am a junior going into my spring year that has a 3.45 gpa and a 3.2 bcp gpa. My gpa is not that great which is why I am worrying a lot lately since I am going to apply this summer. My gpa kind of has an increasing trend, meaning it went from a 2.8 to 3.1 to 3.5 to 3.5. I have A LOT of extracurriculars such as volunteering and leadership positions, I have over 100 hours in shadowing, and I am doing research (trying to get a paper). I am going to take the DAT sometime in March or April.

My first questions is DO I HAVE A CHANCE because i am freaking out!

Second, I am trying to figure out worst case scenarios. I keep hearing about a post-bacc but I don't know what it is and how to get it. I dont trust my advisors because they have given very bad advice before.

Third, I had a friend who kept two science classes that he needed to graduate since he did not get accepted. He basically did a fifth year completing the science classes, shadowing, and doing research. He did get accepted after his fifth year. Will this work for me?

Thanks for your help! and GO GATORS!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vlct0ria

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Haha hey, I just had my own freak-out about next cycle on the forms yesterday, so I totally understand how you feel. Your EC's sound amazing, and many applicants with GPAs similar to/lower than your own are accepted...I don't think it is too low that you would need to do a post-bacc. But of course, this all depends on how the DAT goes for you...rock it and you could be the well-rounded applicant dschools want! Wait and see what other people say about the GPA.

4. eternalxdemon

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    you ALWAYS have a chance to get in. you're cgpa is avg which is good. :) tho ur sgpa is a bit below avg but it's ok. you still have the semester to rock your science classes to bring that gpa up. I don't think you need to look at the post-bacc program cuz your stats are well-rounded enough to get you a couple of interivews AS LONG AS you submit it early (preferabbly june). and taking the DAT's in late march/early april would be a great idea in case you need to retake u can retake in june and you would still be early for 1st round interviews. but w/e u do make sure u submit your app in june... don't hold off for ur retake scores.. -_-;; aadsas takes awhile to process apps anyways so the sooner u submit the sooner ur app gets sent out to the schools of your choice.

I don't think you need to stay a fifth year your stats are good enough to get interviews. :) but that's just my two cents. good luck with your apps and studying for the DAT.