confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jahnavi bhatt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a student in India doing DDS course final year. I want to do my graduation in USA and settle there as a dentist. Many relatives of mine settled their as engineers. When I discussed my thoughts with my friends they said that there is no value for my BDS degree in USA and again I have to join school. I want to know is it true...?? Can you please inform me the way how can I practice as a dentist in USA? ????

Members don't see this ad.

What they meant is you would not be able to practice legally in the USA with just BDS from India, because in order to get licensed to practice dentistry in the US or Canada you need to be a graduate of an accredited program. Your BDS has a value though, it equal to first two years of the local dental school and undergraduate studies. Depending on the state you plan to settle in, you would have to go back to school for two years or go through residency of 1 or 2 years. I do not know much about the residency, but school can vary from 2 years minimum up to 4 years in Florida and NY