Congenital Features?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeratinPearls

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In dermpath, what does congenital features mean and what is the significance of it (that dermpaths put it into the diagnosis line).

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

See Lever, 10th ed. page 727. I can't just hand you the answer. you can probably just google it.

-Dermal nevus cells infiltrating between strands of collagen and "splaying" them apart.
-Nevus cells following/tracking down adnexal structures (follicular and eccrine).

-Most specific feature for being a truly congenital nevus (from what I have been taught): nevus cells "invading" within an arrector pili muscle. I have only seen this once or twice, so I don't think it is very common but supposedly the classic finiding.

-Some architectural distortion in the junctional component that can possibly have a superficial resemblance to dysplastic nevus (not a real congenital feature but you can see this in congenital nevi)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Nevi, both conventional and dysplastic may have congenital patterns/features. As stated earlier, these are usually seen when melanocytes follow adnexal structures, vessels, and even nerves.
Although mostly reported as a histological finding, when a nevus is following adnexal structures and is transected at the base, it usually portends that the nevus may recur.

congenital moles have features that are somtimes seen in melanoma like crawling along adenexal structures but congenital moles are totally benign.

congenital moles have features that are somtimes seen in melanoma like crawling along adenexal structures but congenital moles are totally benign.

moles = fuzzy blind animals that burrow underground( I tried to post a pic..but it would not post!)
or the chemical measurement of a molar unit

a congenital melanocytic nevus shows changes such as melanocytes involving hair follilcles/pilar muscle bundles or nerves within the dermis splaying ebtween collagen bundles...

Last edited: