Congratulations newly board certified pediatricians!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Results are out!

Care to tell us your approach to studying?

How are you celebrating?

Are you telling your patient families today "Your doc is board-certified"😛

Pleasant surprise, waking up to an email from the ABP that was sent at 4AM - but nevermind since I passed :banana:

I realized early on I had too many resources (board review DVDs, review books, etc) so I concentrated on MedStudy books and a book I bought in residency - First Aid for the Pediatric Boards (authors/editors were Tao Le, Wilbur Lam, Shervin Rabizadeh, Alan Schroeder, Kimberly Vera). I found that book (First Aid) to be extremely high yield for the boards. Not sure if it is still being published. I also did a couple years of Prep Questions (and read through all the answers, trying to understand why something was correct or incorrect). And I used Zitelli's Atlas for the pictures. The day before the exam, I studied and memorized all the statistical equations (which helped for the handful of stats questions on the boards)

As for celebrating, how else to celebrate but to do this

psy-gangnam-style-bro-my-god-012-08262012-6a28855f-sz500x281-animate.gif



Now off to clinic. It will be interesting to see how my patients respond to the fact that they are seeing a board-certified pediatrician, since this clinic will be all adults :laugh:
 
Passed, thank God.

Did Cleveland Clinic video lectures; did Medstudy questions maybe twice over. Also did PREP 2012 2-3 times. Looked at random pics and associated text in zitelli (not much though).

Oh, and reduced work hours the month before.

Congrats to everyone.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I passed! Found out my score results before I started seeing patients this AM, got high fives from the other docs who are already certified. I want to do something fun tonight, but I'm on call, have kids at home, and its freaking cold out here so I probably wont be going out.

I think the key is to know ONE review book extremely well (memorize it if possible), look at the pics in Zitellis for a couple of days, and to do at least 3 years of PREP questions where you not only know the right answer but know exactly why all the other answers are wrong.

I didnt realize how important board certified is. There's a lot of jobs that wont even look at you if you are not certified.
 
Woot woot! I woke up today after receiving a text from my former PD congratulating me, then I logged on ABP to officially confirm.

I only studied about 3 weeks, but I did 4 years of PREP, Laughing Your Way x 1, and I actually bought and did the 700+ MedStudy online question bank (I don't know anyone else that did this?).

Honestly I did not even look at 1 page in Zitelli's and I was really nervous when I logged onto SDN the night before the exam to see that everyone and their mom had used it.

I did ok on it as well, with an above average score, this is after an ITE score of 40 (yes FORTY) my intern year and my PD showing me various graphs that gave me a 80% chance of failing LOL.

Have not had a chance to celebrate, just came in from a late flight.

Congratulations to everyone else!
 
I passed too! I read the MedStudy review books start to finish (not marking up or taking notes, just letting the information seep in). Did 3 years of PREP in full and did some of the MedStudy questions (probably between 100-200 of the latter). Didn't use Zitelli's at all, nor any single-volume review book (like Laughing Your Way), though I know a lot of my residency classmates did.
 
Woohoo!!! congrats everyone - my test crashed on me twice resulting in nearly 2 hours of delays while they sorted it out - but by some miracle I passed! 5 years of prep questions and laughing your way did it for me. Hardly used medstudy at all - my mind gets cluttered with too many resources. An atlas is a must too - I went through Zitellis a couple of times in the weeks prior.

Anyone have an inkling on what the pass rate will be? I'm just curious since ABP predicted it would be in the same range as prior.
 
I passed too! did too many prep questions last year.

this year I used PBR (pediatrics board review) and it was perfect. great community support and great support from the author.

i also took a coaching course that taught me how to break down the various structure of questions and how to get rid of some of the answers choices. it was really a different way of looking at questions, but it was really cool to have a strategy.

i agree with MS causing too much chaos/clutter b/c it's so dense. i thought lyw was too light. i loved my pbr and used it like a bible. Can't say enough about the books or about the coach peggy course.

hi-5s all around!

j
 
Also passed! I did four years of PREP questions and read/skimmed through Laughing Your Way once. Thought the actual exam had more narrowly focused questions than PREP (i.e., shorter stems and mostly testing only one or two facts at a time), but PREP was still helpful.

Congrats to everyone else who passed!
 
I passed as well. For me repetition was key and taking time off before the exam to study like it was my full time job. I did prep questions ( 5 years worth), LYW x2 , First Aid (read this three times). I went overboard but I am not the best test taker and my inservice exams were not good at all. I am so relieved this test is over.
 
I did three years of PREP, read medstudy and skimmed through pictures in Zitelli the day before. I also did an intense 3 day board review course that my former residency program offered and passed!
 
Hello all,

While studying for the boards, I wasted large amounts of time trying to determine what results I needed on prep questions to pass the real thing. Curiously, I did not find much useful information. To that end, I thought I'd contribute my numbers to help future test takers.

Study Methods:
--read Laughing Your Way three times
--read all five Medstudy books and took notes
--did five years of prep questions, focusing on reviewing credited responses
--flipped through Zitelli's a couple of times the week before the exam

Facts:
--Inservice exam scores for second and third year were barely passing (~400-430 on old scale)
--Prep questions: averaged 70-72%
--Board Score (new scale in 2012: passing 180, mean 202): 225-230

I was worried that I was in danger of barely passing based of the elusive 70% score for prep. Based on my experience, scoring ~70% on prep means you're in good shape.

Good luck everyone whenever you face the beast. :luck: