Connections to faculty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kurk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: I am in no way trying to sound entitled.

So I just found out I actually have an extended family member who used to be a faculty member at an ivy US dental school ( left 2 to 5 years ago to start a practice). I don't know if they were an assistant prof or what (Haven't seen this person since I was a small lad).

Assuming I have the GPA and DAT to match the school's profile, will this special connection help me? I don't know them too personally but I'd love to between now and the time I apply. How much influence could a LOR from them have on my chances of being accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't say it would help much - especially since the person isn't an immediate family member. If you have the stats and GPA to go along with it, it might look slightly better, but you're deifnitely not a shoo-in just because your sister's-brother in law's- mother-twice removed worked at the school.

Reactions: 1 users
If they're good friends with anyone on the admissions committee, I would say get the rec letter. otherwise I agree that it wouldn't help much, especially since they don't work there anymore, it would be the equivalent having a non immediate family member who was an alumni. It would be more impactful if you knew someone well who isn't related to you at all but plays some role in admissions decisions.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much influence could a LOR from them have on my chances of being accepted?

Next to none. As people have told you by now, worry about these details as you get closer to actually applying and have a better idea of what your chances are based on more significant factors like GPA and DAT score.

I know many dental faculty members who have helped get their family in, it will help a lot if your family member knows the right people on the adcom.

The only school I had ties with was the only school I was rejected from. Don't rely on them whatsoever.

Reactions: 1 users
By the time you apply they will have been gone for about 8 years.
I wouldn't count on it.