Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by mrf1337, Apr 19, 2004.

  1. mrf1337

    mrf1337 Membership Revoked

    Oct 16, 2003
    Likes Received:
    I am considering Ross University and I was hoping that maybe this post will be read by a Ross graduate in residency. I have an uncle who is a prominent physician...1) will that help me getting a "special" appointment, and 2) how do I ask him for this help?
  2. TTSD

    TTSD Sexually Deprived
    7+ Year Member

    Jul 30, 2003
    Likes Received:
    You mean "special" appointment as in for admissions to Ross or residency?

    If you mean by admissions, sure why not. If his name is well known and he writes a stellar letter for you, it might catch their eyes.

    If you mean by residency, it all depends on his connections and your scores.
  3. stephew

    stephew SDN Super Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

    Jun 7, 2001
    Likes Received:
    Ive seen several "sons and daughters of" trying to get preferential treatment. In one case a kid managed to trasnfver from my school to where he dad is - note she had to go abroad first as he scores weren't good enough, but ive not doubt dad helped her tranfer. In every other case I have not seen this help a student at all get a residency (in radonc at least). What i do see is letters of recommendation that excellent students get on their own in clincals from prominent folks. This holds weight.

    The reason is simply that a residency program is a groupd of people who 1) have to work with you for a few years and 2) who want to be proud to have you as a graduate. So you have to prove yourself generally.

    Sure ask your uncle for a letter. But do your best to earn accolades. In less competitive fields this may hold more water. Good luck.

Share This Page