Connexus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rxman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anybody throw some light on Connexus - Walmart's Pharmacy system ?

Members don't see this ad.

What do you want to know? I have been a tech at Wal-Mart for 10 months since the opening of a new store this summer. Being the only tech until recent, I have been in a postion to learn and uderstand all about connexus.

Connexus is user friendly
Great linking abilities between Wally-worlds
Easy to pick up

Do you work at wal-mart?

i like the system a lot. it's very easy to use. every new hire has learned the system very quickly with no problems. i've only worked with one other system (walgreens) and i hated it.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you want to know? I have been a tech at Wal-Mart for 10 months since the opening of a new store this summer. Being the only tech until recent, I have been in a postion to learn and uderstand all about connexus.

Connexus is user friendly
Great linking abilities between Wally-worlds
Easy to pick up

Do you work at wal-mart?

Thanks for your reply. I know Connexus is the best pharmacy system .But are there any draw backs in this system?

what do u want to know about Connexus??? It's so easy and porbably the best program out there. I worked at wal-mart almost 3 years now and the program makes the job easy. Although compared to other pharmacies I think it takes longer to fill a prescription, because it has to go through many steps. In return it's very efficient.

Thanks for your reply. I know Connexus is the best pharmacy system .But are there any draw backs in this system?
Just first in, first out. Some of the higher maintenance types get cheezed off about it.

Did they ever work out how to track partial fills with it?

Also, are they still trying to make you wear that ******ed scanner thing on your arm and the printer on that strap around your waist? We refused to wear the printer when I was there.

We have a track system of all the fills, all the paid and unpaid prescriptions and so on. We don't have to carry the printer or the scanner. We have our own pod on which we fill prescriptions, on which the printer and the scanner stay on. The only reason why you would carry the scanner is so that you could find the right drug, for instance if there are a few drugs that have the same name but different company, or in case you are not sure which cream it is. Otherwise the printer and the scanner stay on the pod. I like the system and I think it prevents many errors that could occur in the process.

After talking with my friends who worked at various other chains, I think it's probably one of the better systems out there! It is user friendly and is setup to really cut down on errors. I also like how the pharmacist has to verify a script is typed in right before it goes to fill. I think that can really minimize errors and also avoid having to redo the script from the beginning.

I also really like the pod system. It allows you portability and you only have to carry the handhelds if you want to (I always did because it was quicker). The handhelds are pretty much PDA's so they're not that big and they have printers at each filling station now. I really liked it alot!

I carry a small PDA device while filling RX's. It keeps great track of work, and ensures accuracy. The partial fill feature works, and is tracked through connexus. It is my understanding that slower stores will start taking work from busier pharamcies. With the linking capability, slower pharmacies will be automatically sent inputs, from other stores (nearby, statewide, and if need be nationally)--I am interested to see how this works---

I have yet to find any drawbacks--

I remember them showing me the strap when our store opened up a couple years ago and I thought it was so cheesy. I've never seen anyone wearing it though. I just carry it with me, pull the drug from whatever aisle, and go to the pod closest to the aisle and fill.

I heard that they wanted to start verifying scripts from other Wal-Marts (like how Walgreens does it). Worst idea ever!

I heard that they wanted to start verifying scripts from other Wal-Marts (like how Walgreens does it). Worst idea ever!

really? you mean input, four point or visual verification? i dont think visual verification is possible.

really? you mean input, four point or visual verification? i dont think visual verification is possible.

I meant verification as in four point. I'm not sure about input though. Anyways, it was just something that my pharmacist mentioned to me. I don't know if they're moving forward with it.

Any new features/functionalities walmart is evaluating to implement in their system?

I meant verification as in four point. I'm not sure about input though. Anyways, it was just something that my pharmacist mentioned to me. I don't know if they're moving forward with it.

What is four point verification ?

4 pnt is what the pharmacist does. after the script has been scanned and inputed into the system, it then transfers to the 4 point and onto the pharmacists' screen/monitor where the pharmacist will double check that the script belongs to the right patient and everything is inputed correctly. (the scanned pic of the script will show side by side with all the info (name, medication, dose, doctor) that was inputed by the pharm tech.
a very useful tool that decreases confusion and problems.

the walmart i work at is reallly slow. ive been workin there for about 4 months and on the busiest day i worked (around new years), i think we only managed 160 scripts. I usually just work weekends and the average number of scripts we fill is around 45 on sat, and 30 on sunday.soo much work! :thumbup:

the walmart i work at is reallly slow. ive been workin there for about 4 months and on the busiest day i worked (around new years), i think we only managed 160 scripts. I usually just work weekends and the average number of scripts we fill is around 45 on sat, and 30 on sunday.soo much work! :thumbup:

i work at a slow store too doing around 130-150 on a busy day and around 60 on saturday and 20-40 on sunday since the $4 generic program :thumbup:
(the # of scripts went up around 20-30% since the $4 generic program...not too bad)

4 point check is excellent because errors from input are caught before the drug is filled or the label is printed. after the 4 point check, the claim is submitted to the insurance and then it will go to the fill terminal for techincians/interns and then to visual verification at the pharmacist terminal to be check again (to make sure it is the right drug in each bottle & the pharmacist can also check everything else over again if he/she wants to)
very smooth process :)

Any new features/functionalities walmart is evaluating to implement in their system?

i have not heard of anything yet. anyone?
i think the system isn't bad at all. very safe for pharmacists. i dont know and dont see what is there to change, add or evaluate.
the newest thing we have is the sudafed log book in connexus and brand new keyboards/flat screen monitors/computers/etc. :p